Fifth King George for Kauto

joekingman

VIP Member
TK Supporter
26th December 2011

Paul Nicholls' Kauto Star won his fifth William Hill King George VI Chase in stunning fashion at Kempton on Boxing Day.

KautoStar_2695114.jpg
Kauto Star's connections celebrate

The 11-year-old won four renewals of the Grade One contest in consecutive years from 2006-2009 but could only manage third in last season's race behind Long Run.

Nicky Henderson's horse went onto win the Cheltenham Gold Cup and was sent off the evens favourite to make it back-to-back wins at Kempton under Sam Waley-Cohen.

Yet Kauto Star showed at Haydock in the Betfair Chase last month that he wasn't a spent force and that form proved to be spot on as he beat Long Run again under an ecstatic Ruby Walsh.

The winning distance was only a length-and-a-quarter this time as Long Run stayed on at the business end but he didn't have enough in the tank to deny Kauto Star another golden day at Kempton.

Sky Bet go 5/1 from 10/1 about Kauto Star for the Cheltenham Gold Cup with Long Run unchanged at 5/2.

Ecstatic

Nicholls said: "He's just awesome and I knew we had him in serious order.
"I don't know why he wasn't quite right last year.

"It was a massive plus having Ruby (Walsh) here today and it's just unbelievable.

"It's amazing. He's just the best.

"If he gets to Cheltenham in that form he'll be the one to beat (in the Gold Cup)."

Reflecting on Punchestown, Nicholls said: "A lot of horses do run flat at the end of the year and I said to Clive (Smith, owner) that unless everything was right I would retire him, but he was just so well that I told him we had to keep going.

"I promise you that the slightest sign he is losing his enthusiasm and we will call it a day.

"I will never have another horse like him and although he is 11 he has been acting like an eight-year-old at home."

Master Minded, also representing Nicholls and Smith, suffered an injury during the race when struck into and was taken for treatment in Newmarket.

Nicholls said he believed the injury could be career-threatening but not life-threatening.

Amazing

Walsh said of Kauto Star: "He's an amazing horse. "I said to Clive I don't know how he'll run, but he looked a million dollars and he felt great. He jumped super and travelled great.

"This is a fairytale. He's a wonderful horse and it's a credit to the people who work with him every day.

"He's beaten a six-year-old (Long Run) and he's 12 next week. To keep a horse going as long as that is amazing.

"You can say what you want about the best steeplechasers of all time, but he's outlasted them all.

"He's lasted longer than any other horse and that's what makes him so brilliant.

"This horse is as tough as nails and he's exceptional."

Magnificent

Smith said: "I knew this was the biggest day of my racing life - 24 years or so. It's unbelievable and I'm so proud. He's such a magnificent animal.

"He's got such a heart. He wants to go on. He's a lion.

"I'm so pleased, I can't tell you how excited I am. I'm shaking."

Back