Firestick Speed using Ethernet cable

The power button can be used to fire up your TV and Firestick together and you can also use the remote for other features on your TV. It’s in the “Equipment Control” menu IIRC.

Sorry, that’s not correct. It will still use the data connection even if the TV is off. The firestick needs to be put in sleep mode to minimise power/data usage, so If you are streaming and you just turn the TV off it will carry on streaming as the power and data connection is still active. Obviously, if it’s powered from the TV it will turn off.

Fire TV Device Low Power Mode - Amazon Customer Service
I meant after he'd finished using it.
Ie, close down the streaming app/player

No joy as yet as see a 5v usb for recording on HDD ? but still getting the error as not enough power to operate unit

No joy in connecting wifi yet

No joy as yet as see a 5v usb for recording on HDD ? but still getting the error as not enough power to operate unit

No joy in connecting wifi yet
I've no idea what's going on.
You say you can't connect to WiFi, then say it won't power up.
You could only try connecting to WiFi once it's powered on.
How come you can't plug the usb adapter in where the tv is plugged in?
Can't you run a usb lead from one of your satellite boxes? They're all 5v so shouldn't matter where the 5v originates from

When plugged into hdmi port the firestick went into setup mode and was plugged into side panel of tv for usb and hdmi.
Got the message to connect to mains for better power even after moving to all 3 usb ports o tv.

Need to source a socket to plug usb to plug into .
Not tried from H7S which is nearby yet .

When plugged into hdmi port the firestick went into setup mode and was plugged into side panel of tv for usb and hdmi.
Got the message to connect to mains for better power even after moving to all 3 usb ports o tv.

Need to source a socket to plug usb to plug into .
Not tried from H7S which is nearby yet .
Don't you have any phone chargers anywhere of any other USB adapters?
I must have a dozen or more

I found one in the kitchen and plugged it in and something is happening as its updating now.

Funny both usb ports on tv say 5v as i was standing at the side and sticker was on back of screen.

I found one in the kitchen and plugged it in and something is happening as its updating now.

Funny both usb ports on tv say 5v as i was standing at the side and sticker was on back of screen.
It must have wifi connection if its updating.
All usb outlets are the same voltage

Connection timed out again in setup , and yes how did it update then , 3 usb ports tried and now powered by mains .

Have a picture of password entered 6 times and all timed out with network showing a good signal .
Everything in house is by lan cable and switches. Except laptop which hangs if on YouTube.

Now into phone settings for the app as it says its registering on fire tv on mobile screen and verifying connection.
Failed unable to connect to device again through phone settings.

Last edited:
Connection timed out again in setup , and yes how did it update then , 3 usb ports tried and now powered by mains .

Have a picture of password entered 6 times and all timed out with network showing a good signal .
Everything in house is by lan cable and switches. Except laptop which hangs if on YouTube.

Now into phone settings for the app as it says its registering on fire tv on mobile screen and verifying connection.
Failed unable to connect to device again through phone settings.
Power off the firestick at the mains.
Reboot it and put your WiFi password in

I cant seem to power it off but can unplug it.

Cant seem to reboot unit when stuck in setup mode , but might try it on another tv elsewhere and see Cheers.

I was going to plug it into a hdmi cable in kitchen with adapter but it wont plug into it , just my luck

I was going to plug it into a hdmi cable in kitchen with adapter but it wont plug into it , just my luck
You can get short hdmi extension cables, I use one so that the remote can 'see' the device as it hangs down 200mm lower and its visible, although I've not used it for a firestick for a long time.
You probably need new batteries in the remote

I fitted batteries into the remote , ahh to see device sounds good as did wonder of how it saw the remote.

I have another hdmi adapter i want to check to see if firestick plugs into it.

Never heard of short hdmi extension cables.

Back