focus mk2 1.6 petrol. clutch seems really high?

userlee5267

TK Veteran
hello

had my clucth done now around 8 months ago, as it completely went. but give no warning signs no slipping or struggling into gear or anything. i just drove to work and drove home and that was it it would not go into gear or anything. finally got it going and it was slipping its ass off. the garage said it was a really bad fail and it had litterally exploded. no other comments were made and that was it job done

so got the job done and it felt no different but hey oh its been ok upto now, but i cant remember how high the biting point was at all. now its right towards the top i can put my foot all the way to the floor and lift it slightly before half way before it bites.

i have only started to question this as my partner as started to learn in it and she cannot drive it as its way to high compared to her test car, im also starting to question it.

i can select first for pulling off from a stand still lift my foot completey off the clucth and it does not stall i don't even need to give it gas, im pretty sure it was not like this before. it gives a little shake as if it is going to stall and then carrys on.

i dont drive with my foot anywhere near the pedal i made sure of that since it broke as the bill was through the roof.

Yeah most mk2 focus petrol cars have a high biting point on the clutch and even after a clutch change etc they are self adjusting and will adjust to the optimum point of contact :(y):

im a worrier don't fancy another £530 repair bill. i worry about the part were i park up select first to go, i can lift my foot literally off the clucth and it does not stall it keeps going gives a little shake and carrys on>

Yeah i know what you mean etc personally i like a clutch with a high biting point because my leg seems to adjust better when pressing it in and out etc but it will feel strange for a while from what it was before

Wow is that how much it cost you? (£530). My wife had a Mk2 focus for a while until we sold it last year and the clutch went on that - like yours, there was no notice, it just went. Me and my brother changed it - we bought a good quality 3 piece clutch kit (LUK) from ECP for around £125 iirc and fitted it and was just as good as before although I can't remember the biting point. Took us around 5 hours to do it all and the old clutch was in pieces.

Glad you fitted the 3 piece as many only fit 2 piece and gearbox has to be taken out months later with leaking clutch fluid.

Yes needed it for work one garage said £430 but no appointments until three weeks time and the 7 day a week garage wanted £530 done same day. Luk 3 piece clutch and fitting said it was quite a big job

Yes I won’t not know we’re to start with a clutch lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Need a ramp and plenty of rags as stupid sods not add a drain plug for draining gearbox as shafts needed in removing.

Below the 8mm hex for topping up the gearbox is a 19mm domed nut and is the detent plunger.
Ensuring the gearbox is in neutral undo the 8mm hex first ( this is to make sure the gearbox can be refilled and aids in draining it aswell) and then crack open the 19mm detent plunger and then the oil will drain out probably about 75-80% etc.
You will more than likely have to remove the gearlink cables and possibly the black plastic cover housing so the oil dont go everywhere ( speaking from personal experience lol ).
Why ford didnt stick to the mtx75 gearbox with a proper fill and drain plug in place is anyones guess.

Back