ford focus 06 weird problems

userlee5267

TK Veteran
hello all i need help, i have had the car for just over a year now not had a problem until now, the car every so often as been struggling to start it kind of starts then dies. i have had the battery tested its fine, i have had a complete service done by myself (plugs, decent oil, air filter, oil filter) it as no warning lights on the dash. i have found that pressing the accelarator when turning the key when its struggling gets it going, i have paid £90 on garages trying to read error codes and there is none and its stored none. today its struggled to start and the speedo and rev counter needles went all the way around and they were clicking like they were struggling to get to zero they settled out to zero after a few minutes also the engine sounded quite rough when starting and every single light come on on the dash (its never ever done that before) also its like the battery had died as the radio took ages to come back on and all my mpg, average speed computer things had reset to zero

they all seem good and tight will check them again tomoz. the car starts fine 90% of the time... its starting to annoy me now lol

my ford van does that sometimes like it needs a bit more gas to start have to turn off and try again but its not mine so dont really care

I had a similar problem on my old one and it was something in the electrics a coil or alternator or something of that ilk. I know it was red hot after starting up and made it die at all sorts of times. but the diagnostic check picked it up?

Just took it to a mates house. He as a really expensive computer that tells him everything when its connected to the car. Plugged into is and it logged a code this morning when it struggled at his garage. He said its something to do with a chip breaking down inside the car key or the transponder in the ignition. Said really expensive job and to try using the master key to see if that helps me. He also said the crank sensor is giving a strange reading of 41 he said it should be around 12. I aint got a clue what that means though

Found this

Crankshaft position sensor failure can be dangerous, especially if your Ford Focus is an automatic. Because your Ford PCM relies on the crankshaft position sensor signal in order to operate your engine, this can cause your Focus to turn off. If you are moving at speed, this can be a very dangerous situation as you’ll be without power brakes and power steering.
The specific code we are looking at today is OBDII DTC P0335 for Crankshaft Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction. When your Ford Focus PCM detects an issue with your crankshaft position sensor signal, or the lack of signal, it will light your check engine light. This light represents a stored OBDII trouble code, and today I’ll be showing you how to clear your trouble code of P0335 in a 2003 Ford Focus ZTS.

Hi all, been a mechanic/technician for a long time now. This may well be, as pointed out by georgiou, a canbus problem. This is fairley common on the Mk2 focus and is caused by a circuit fault in the dash pod. As a test, next time it refuses to start, give the dash pod a good clout on the top and if this resoves the issue you will need to have the pod removed and repaired.

thats sounds expensive... its not done it since i follwed the advice to use the other key though. what is the dash pod? sorry if i sound thick lol

The bit where the speedo and rev counter sit, all the electronics interface there, including the immobiliser/alarm system. Removal takes about 15mins and to have it repaired £70. New one is approx £450.

sh1te happens as i have a 2001 non starter petrol in,turns over with key and engine kicks back thinking timing issue,tb done 4 years ago and cant get codes read as usual message system not run a scan,plugs drowned in petrol,tried new coil.

Cacti, try changing coolant temp sensor. Apart from operating the temp guage it also trims the fuelling according to engine temp. It may be open circuit making the PCM think the temp is sub zero and overfuelling to compensate. Bit like too much choke on an old car.

---------- Post Merged at 09:52 PM ----------

Lee, there's a company in Leicester repairs them. Just remove the pod and send it to them, they turn it round in 24hrs..I'll see if I can find their number for you.

finally got car to read fault codes=crankshaft sensor removed and tip had worn off due to worn thrust bearings,new sensor from ford with added washer behind to act as a spacer,what a pain in the arse lol.

Back