Freezing Images

settoloki

Hi,
I have two zgemma H2.H boxes and a virgin media router and my TV signal has intermittent freezing issues on both boxes.

I'm not sure what the issue is, I have changed who I buy my lines from a couple of times but the issue persists. My Internet seems constant with no package loss.

I can't pin point when it started to happen, but I suspect it might be when I split the line. After Virgins installation it was split to one tv box and the modem, I changed that adapter out to split it 3 ways to feed the 3rd box using one of these the line is only split in one location. I can see the green cable box outside my house it is directly across the road from me.

Another change I made is changing my virgin router to modem mode and using a store bought router for my network.

It could have also happened the time sly went down and I'm guessing more people turned to Virmin and all the lines I have bought turn out to be from the same supplier via re-sellers.

Some channels seem worse than others some days the freezes are few and far between and last less than a second or appear as more of a glitch whereas others they are more frequent and can freeze up for a few seconds at a time. Though the freezing doesn't stop at times where I would imagine the traffic is less 3am etc.

Does anybody know how I could debug the issue, or recommend things I could do to fix it, or at least make it better.

Thanks.

yes, remove that splitter from the equation as it's a POS :poop:

can you log into the router and post your signal logs?

replace that splitter with a Tratec / Technetix one, or if there's a Screwfix near you, you can get a Labgear one, all of them are better than that one you're using

yes, remove that splitter from the equation as it's a POS :poop:

can you log into the router and post your signal logs?

replace that splitter with a Tratec / Technetix one, or if there's a Screwfix near you, you can get a Labgear one, all of them are better than that one you're using

Thanks for the reply

I can find

https://www.screwfix.com/p/4-way-splitter-with-powerpass-all-ports/69265 at Screwfix, but it's my understanding I would need to cap off the extra port with a resistor, which you can get in the form of a cap, can't see any of these at screwfix though.

Sadly, that doesn't seem to have made much difference. I will have to track down a way of making absolutely sure it isn't the router.

what cables are you using?
bought ones or home made ones?
are they proper good quality cables?

I'm using satellite cable from screwfix, I've made the ends of myself, but pretty sure they are solid, spent a large portion of my life as an electrician and it happens on both boxes, not isolated to just one.

Not sure how to get the logs. My router only gives traffic analysis, though playing around in the logs I found out my 14 year old son is visiting a site called xvideos.... I'm sure it's just a gaming website ;)

I'm using satellite cable from screwfix, I've made the ends of myself, but pretty sure they are solid, spent a large portion of my life as an electrician and it happens on both boxes, not isolated to just one.

Not sure how to get the logs. My router only gives traffic analysis, though playing around in the logs I found out my 14 year old son is visiting a site called xvideos.... I'm sure it's just a gaming website ;)

thats reasonably decent cable,
are the ends well made off, doubled back, and no stray 'hairs' .?

A new update to the issue, both boxes freeze at the exact same time and they are currently being supplied by different line servers. So I believe it has something to do with the signal coming into the house not being strong enough? As I don't recall ever having this problem when the line was only split between the virgin box and virgin router (or when I swapped the virgin box to a zgemma H2.H) I guess I need to take the 2nd box out and put the original virgin splitter back inline and see if the problem persists.

I've not tried this yet, but if it does fix the issue is there anything I can do to put my 2nd box back on, some sort of signal amplifier - though I'm not sure how that would work, amplifying the signal sounds like it is something virgin would have to do at the exchange.

I had a similar problem a while back, konig signal amplifier sorted it out, but have to check downstream return levels via router, if they are too high VM may turn down your signal, you can add an attenuator, or look at the amp model with adjustable return path signal

Or get the correct item for the job

Technetix HDU-200 2 Port
or
Technetix HDU-400 4 Port

These don't mean much to me but

Acquired Downstream Channel(Hz) : 299000000 : Power (dBmV) 2.4 : SNR (dB) 37.6
Ranged Upstream Channel(Hz) : 46200000 : Power (dBmV) : 49.5

I'll have a look at ordering a konig signal amplifier from Amazon and see if it helps, thanks.

These don't mean much to me but

Acquired Downstream Channel(Hz) : 299000000 : Power (dBmV) 2.4 : SNR (dB) 37.6
Ranged Upstream Channel(Hz) : 46200000 : Power (dBmV) : 49.5

I'll have a look at ordering a konig signal amplifier from Amazon and see if it helps, thanks.

you've been told what the problem may be,
and how it may be fixed,
why order something random?
what are the signal levels in your router.?

I'm not sure where I get the signal levels from, the only relevant information I can find on the superhub is what I posted above.

There is a Primary Downstream / Upstream Service Flow
SFID 575 / 574
Max Traffic Rate 230000000 / 12700000

upload_2017-11-4_0-12-44.png

upload_2017-11-4_0-12-14.png

power levels and SNR all look ok, what cables are in use? - VM supplied cables or have you bought some / made some of your own?

Back