French Camp Site - success at last !

MisterB

TK Veteran
Finally cracked it (with the help of this forum) !!! got my zgemma h2s working via a TP-LINK, Huawei E5830 wireless modem and 3g data card from the UK ( I went for a £30 - 12gig which lasts for 12 months or until used (it was the 12 month bit I wanted as from reading advice on the forum its unlikely to use anything like 12gigs unless I start downloading stuff of course!)

I would suggest anyone else trying it should set it up at home first just to make sure you've got your head around it - set it up via laptop etc, then simply transfer the Ethernet cable into your zgemma and :yes!:

I then tried to watch scrambled channel and log on with laptop at the same time but the tv froze - I will have another go at sorting that bit out over the next couple of day, but when I went to normal 'unscrambled' channel I found logging onto the net at the same time isn't an issue, so not perfect but bloody hell, so what !!!!

Last edited:
UPDATE - ive managed to log on and use my laptop at the same time as watching a scrambled channel, not sure how it happened but its now sorted

Data usage - ive seen a few posts asking about data usage - ive worked out that I am using about 100mb per day - that's with laptop on 3 or 4 hours a day and zgemma h2s on all day, I switch it off using the remote overnight. not sure if turning it off completely might save a few Mb's overnight, but as my calculations work out that 12Gb will last about four months on my current usage levels, then that is sufficient for the time I spend in France in total

If you set up tethering/Hotspot on your phone and connected the zgemmas wi-fi to that wouldn`t that work as well??

I have read a few times playing a local radio station on your laptop (on mute)
will stop the drop out using 3g systems with sat boxes when you are camping, etc.

Apparently the theory goes, your box will only call for new packets (to keep the box unscrambled)
intermittently, every few seconds where as playing the radio is minimal usage but forces the 3g
to stay connected so less glitching, never tried it myself, but maybe worth keeping in mind.

I used to run mine through a travel router and was a bit hit and miss depending on the network coverage.

I found the 3 network was about the best in different places around the UK.

Nice little setup when you have it working right MisterB

well, it was YOUR idea !!! I just followed what you had already worked out so thanks for that. ps - I see you were trying to pm me, but my box was full, sorry !!!

I might have got there in the end, but you certainly speeded up the process, so big thanks for sharing your info !

---------- Post Merged at 08:05 PM ----------

If you set up tethering/Hotspot on your phone and connected the zgemmas wi-fi to that wouldn`t that work as well??

to be honest I don't know !! I think the hard wired Ethernet connection to the zgemma is what makes it work so well but I suppose then the TP LINK could be set up to be tethered to a phone. problem then tho, what happens if whoever owns the phone goes out and takes it with them? that's why I think the wifi modem is the best solution

I doubt this is the only solution or indeed the only 'gadgets/equipment' that will do the job, but it works for me - my next step is to do the same set up for the boat on the broads, just need to work out where to put the dish so the wife doesn't see it lol, ps - it would only be used when moored up overnight due to directional signal issues - I couldn't afford an auto sat tracker and wouldn't have anywhere to put it - UNLESS someone knows better ????

Last edited:
Get yourself a motorized dish misterB

it would need to be small enough so as not to be too much in peoples faces, I was looking at one of the suitcase type portable set ups - for how often it would be used motorised isn't really an option unless I can get one very cheap ! and it also needs to be low voltage and power consumption for when were on battery power

- ps, what modem do you use? im using a huaweai e5830 - but when I set it up for the boat would just like to stick a dongle in the usb port on the TP link assuming it would work ok.

Back