Grand National 2011

Linny40

TK LADY VETERAN
Runners and riders guide to 2011 Grand National:

DON'T PUSH IT (Jonjo O'Neill) - odds 14/1
Bidding to become the first horse since Red Rum in 1974 to land back-to-back victories but faces a stiff task off top weight. Nevertheless, he loves Aintree and shaped well on his prep run a Cheltenham.

TIDAL BAY (Howard Johnson) - 40/1
As quirky as he is talented, it is impossible to predict how he will react to the unique fences and the extreme distance. If he takes to the course then he could be in the shake-up - it's quite a big 'if' though.

WHAT A FRIEND (Paul Nicholls) - 12/1
His fourth in the Gold Cup gives him every chance and he is sure to attract plenty of support. Co-owned by Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson, this smart chaser would be a major player if he rises to the occasion and is 'well in' at the weights.

VIC VENTURI (Dessie Hughes) - 50-1
Unlucky in the race last year when he was hampered at the 20th fence and unseated his rider. Has won the Becher Chase over these obstacles and has been trained for another crack.

MAJESTIC CONCORDE (Dermot Weld) - 33/1
A fascinating Irish contender, whose trainer went close with Greasepaint in 1983 and 1984. A winner on the Flat, over hurdles and over fences, he certainly has plenty of class and has been lightly raced over the last couple of years. 8.

OR NOIR DE SOMOZA (David Pipe) - 50/1
This purchase from France, where he was a prolific winner, has yet to run in Britain but connections have won the National in the past and are clearly excited by the nine-year-old. Hard to assess, however.

DOONEYS GATE (Willie Mullins) - 100/1
May not be the stable's first string, but a decent performer. His form stands up well and he was fourth in the Topham over these fences last April.

BIG FELLA THANKS (Ferdy Murphy) - 18/1
Having his third attempt after finishing sixth and fourth in the last two years for Paul Nicholls and has since changed stables. Sure to have his supporters and he has been trained with just this day in mind.

THE TOTHER ONE (Paul Nicholls) - 66/1
Very useful on his day and not that many miles on the clock. However, his jumping could be a big issue here as he does make the odd mistake.

BALLABRIGGS (Donald McCain) - 14/1
Has been a big fancy for some time to continue the McCain family's amazing record in this great race. Did not have his first run of the season until January and after two spins over hurdles shaped well when second back over fences at Kelso.

THE MIDNIGHT CLUB (Willie Mullins) - 10/1
Went on many people's short list when winning the Bobbyjo Chase, a traditional trial for the National, at Fairyhouse in February. The trainer struck with Hedgehunter in 2005 and this is his number one hope this time round.

NICHE MARKET (Paul Nicholls) - 20/1
The Irish National winner in 2009, he was pulled up here 12 months ago after losing touch when making a bad mistake. He has since been switched from Bob Buckler's stable and his new trainer has been focusing on getting him 100% for the big day.

SILVER BY NATURE (Lucinda Russell) - 14/1
No grey has won since Nicolaus Silver 50 years ago but few have arrived on Merseyside with his credentials. Second in the 2009 Welsh National, he put up a terrific performance when scoring at Haydock last month for the second year running. Any rain would help his cause.

BACKSTAGE (Gordon Elliott) - 12/1
Quietly fancied last year only to unseat his rider at the 20th fence. Has been given an unorthodox preparation with two runs in point-to-points which he won both. Trainer won with Silver Birch in 2007.

CHIEF DAN GEORGE (Jimmy Moffatt) - 40/1
Missed the cut for the race last year but has safely got in this time. Usually prominent from the start in his races but fell at Cheltenham on his latest outing.

CALGARY BAY (Henrietta Knight) - 33/1
Has an interesting profile for a National horse and could run a big race if he takes to the course. The stable is not known for its runners in this, but he is normally a good jumper and should be suited by the galloping nature of Aintree.

KILLYGLEN (Stuart Crawford) - 66/1
Although a winner on the Mildmay course as a novice, he has not quite lived up to expectations and has plenty of weight for what he has achieved of late.

OSCAR TIME (Martin Lynch) - 12/1
Would be a fairytale triumph for connections of Cheltenham Gold Cup winner Long Run. He was bought after finishing second in last year's Irish National with Aintree as the objective. Ran a fine trial last time out and could well deliver.

QUINZ (Philip Hobbs) - 18/1
Has been mixing it in top novice company this season and stepped up to win the ever-competitive Racing Post Chase at Kempton recently. Remains open to huge improvement and is at the right end of the weights. Inexperience the worry.

BECAUSEICOULDNTSEE (Noel Glynn) - 25/1
Yet another of a strong Irish contingent. Unexposed yet has shown a good level of form in staying chases, finishing runner-up in the Cheltenham four-miler last year and second to Majestic Concorde on his last start in December.

COMPLY OR DIE (David Pipe) - 50/1
The winner in 2008 and runner-up in 2009, age appeared to catch up with him when he was 12th last year and hard to fancy to strike again, although he could get round in his own time.

QUOLIBET (Jonjo O'Neill) - 150/1
Has some fair form to his name from his days in France but was pulled up on his British debut in Cheltenham's cross-country event. Not up to a task like this.

GRAND SLAM HERO (Nigel Twiston-Davies) - 100/1
Won last year's Summer Plate at Market Rasen and will have ground to suit, but still difficult to seeing making much impact.

STATE OF PLAY (Evan Williams) - 25/1
Was fourth in this a couple of seasons ago and ran similarly well to grab third last year. Those experiences should stand him in good stead and he may pick up minor honours again, but difficult to see him winning.

KING FONTAINE (Malcolm Jefferson) - 66/1
Progressive chaser who has won twice at Haydock this season and was not disgraced in finishing fifth in a hot handicap at the Cheltenham Festival. Looks the sort to do well in this race if taking to the fences, but this might be a year too soon.

IN COMPLIANCE (Dessie Hughes) - 66/1
Has lost a gear or two since since winning a Grade One back in 2006, but has done well to come back from numerous injury problems. A winner at Thurles earlier this season and might go well for a way, but huge question marks over his stamina.

HELLO BUD (Nigel Twiston-Davies) - 33/1
Highly creditable fifth in last year's renewal and has since won the Becher Chase over these giant fences. Looks badly handicapped as a result, however, and no 13-year-old has won this since the 1920s.

WEST END ROCKER (Alan King) - 33/1
Enjoying a fine campaign, winning on decent ground at Newbury before ploughing through the mud to win a competitive Classic Chase at Warwick. Ran no sort of race last time but has an each-way squeak if forgiven that and the rain comes in bucket loads.

SANTA'S SON (Howard Johnson) - 150/1
A nine-time winner but this a different league to what he has been competing in for most of the season. No chance unless the rest fail to complete.

BLUESEA CRACKER (James Motherway) - 25/1
Won a heavy ground Irish Grand National last spring and this has been the plan since. But she was well beaten by the Midnight Club last time and hard to see her reversing that form. Snapped up recently by last year's winning owner JP McManus.

THAT'S RHYTHM (Martin Todhunter) - 150/1
Not a bad sort at his level - but this isn't it. Might improve for this extreme distance, but surely not enough to make his presence felt.

SURFACE TO AIR (Chris Bealby) - 66/1
Won three on the spin in 2008 but then spent almost three years on the sidelines. Last of 10 on his belated comeback and it seems injuries have wrecked a promising career.

PIRAYA (David Pipe) - 150/1
Arrived from France with a big reputation a while back but has managed just one win and was beaten out of sight in this 12 months ago. Might get round again but will be nearer last than first.

CAN'T BUY TIME (Jonjo O'Neill) - 66/1
Has looked the sort to run well in this for a while but he has failed to complete the last two years. Fair effort at Cheltenham on New Year's Day and would have place claims if completing, but that is no given.

CHARACTER BUILDING (John Quinn) - 25/1
Was well fancied 12 months ago but could only finish a never-nearer seventh. Has been largely disappointing since and if he could not do it last year, he surely won't this time.

ORNAIS (Paul Nicholls) - 100/1
Has not had much racing over the past few years but showed he retains some sort of ability when second in a Newbury hunter chase last time. This is a different kettle of fish and impossible to fancy.

ARBOR SUPREME (Willie Mullins) - 20/1
Parted company with his jockey at halfway last year but recent second to stablemate The Midnight Club, finishing in front of Oscar Time and Vic Venturi, reads well. Definite each-way chance.

ROYAL ROSA (Howard Johnson) - 100/1
Was well beaten off when unseating his rider last year, but has since filled the runner-up spot in the Becher. Disappointed since in the Welsh National but a return to these fences might light him up. One of the more appealing 100-1 shots but not getting any younger.

SKIPPERS BRIG (Nicky Richards) - 40/1
Very smart horse who beat fellow National hope Ballabriggs at Kelso recently. Of some interest off a featherweight but quick ground would be a big blow to his chances.

GOLDEN KITE (Adrian Maguire) - 80/1
Won a thrilling Munster National in October and a recent spin over hurdles should have him spot-on fitness-wise. Lack of course experience the main concern.

Reserves:

ALWAYS WAINING (Peter Bowen)
Ran away with the Topham 12 months ago and was not disgraced in finishing sixth in the Becher on ground softer than ideal. Has been campaigned over hurdles since to protect his mark and can be given an each-way squeak.

FAASEL (David Pipe)
Talented but quirky individual, who was second in the Kim Muir for the second year in succession at Cheltenham. Anyone's guess how he'll take to this and he's not betting material.

LE BEAU BAI (Richard Lee)
Will definitely stay but lacks the pace to threaten on this quicker ground. Pulled up in the Midlands National last time too, so too many negatives to make a case for him.

GILES CROSS (Victor Dartnall)
Second in the Welsh National but they are going to go too quick for him on this ground.

Ok guys n gals who is doing a bet on the National tomorrow.

I play every yr - only £1 e/w just for fun but we do a few bets in our house. Usually end up winning something, even if its just my money back.!

List of all runners and reserves taken form the telegraph online today
so who do you fancy. Got a bit extra on 1 in particular Oscar Time :) odds on that on blue square is 9/1 ( yes i have an account lol) but on the telegraph and other sites its 12/1

I am going to back either BALLABRIGGS or SILVER BY NATURE . I can;t make my mind up :(

mm seems a couple of you like silver by nature - lol anything to do with you all having silver hair lol!!
My son has picked about 6 so far one being Chief Dan George - coz his name is George lol but at 40/1 mmm not so sure!
But its the taking part that is fun, im not into racing but the national MUST be watched and oh god i get excited lol! bit like when England play a big game, so i don't get excited very often :)

I am no expert either Linny, I just had a look around the Net. Noticed only 2 horses above 33\1 haave won the National in aroud 45 years (or something like that). Since they lowered the fences, and training getting better it favours the fancied horses a bit better now. Does not rule out an outsider though. Your horse was well fancied on a couple of sites I visited, as was stigies Niche Market, and Chief Dan George got a mention for an outsider choice on one or two sites. Like you say it is a bit of fun, and a pin or a name could easily strike lucky.

Dont push it or the Midnight club :dunno:

My each way bet would be comply or die. I know age is catching up on him but with Timmy Murphy on board, who knows?

Over the years if we all like different horses ive put a £1 bet e/w on most of the 40 runners lol and eneded up with upto 4 wins. as e/w way with bluesquare is on 4 places :) ( as i dont understand racing not sure if thats the norm or not) also on BS
UK Racing > Grand National - Fallers Cashback > win or each-way

Special Grand National Market - cashback if your selection fails to complete the course (unless it is pulled up)
Each-way bets on 4 places at 1/4 odds
9th of April 2011 4:15pm
as i work in the theatre i have also put a bet on Backstage.
so my 2 main horses with a slightly larger bet - still eachway are Oscar time and Backstage :)

Last edited:
As good a chance as any in my book Linny, always stick with tour instinct lass ;) and I really do hope you back the winner :)

Just my luck got Santas Son in the sweep stake at work 150-1 shot
I agree with linny40.... Backstage to win

woooooooohoooooooooooo had ballabriggs 5e e/w collected 110e :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:

Had backstage and big fella thanks €5 E/W Grrrr, big fella thanks ran backwards after the last fence and didn't hear backstage mentioned at all

my mate at work won his bet, ballabriggs

it was the talk of the day everywhere i went lol

well never saw it and not seen news. But i bet a total of £34 and won back around £45 so did win. Sons girlfriend picked ballabriggs and i put a £1 e/w on that and £5 e/w on Oscar time - i KNEW he wouldnt let me down :):):) think i won 1st 2nd and 4th Blue square places on the other bets were 5 places. dont know who came 5th as not looked on pc to see who won. but will look up on monday my bet results etc.

Was in the garden centre when the race was on and couldnt get a bloody signal on my phone lol!
off to bed now as a long day 2mora - gotta be up at 6.30 and at work by 7am :( hoepfully finish around 5ish So where did backstage come --------------- thats where ill be all day 2mora lol!

I have heard that there was much sad news yesterday and that 2 horses had to be put down. Not seen a paper today so can anyone enlighten me as to exactly what happened??

Here it is Linny & a young Irish Jockey in a coma >> http://www.techkings.org/horse-racing/24043-toole-serious-condition-following-aintree-fall.html

Death came again to the Grand National yesterday - and the horror was played out in front of a worldwide television audience of 600 million.
They and the thousands who had packed Aintree for the annual cavalry charge looked on as two horses died in appalling falls.
The race had to divert round the fences where the fatalities had occurred to avoid the bodies of the victims.

article-1375310-0B8DFDFA00000578-356_634x416.jpg
Carnage: Or Noir De Somoza (6) is brought down at Becher's Brook

Television viewers got their first inkling of the horror when, on the second circuit, racecourse workers were seen frantically waving chequered flags as the field approached the 20th fence.
The commentators gave little clue as to what had happened but viewers saw the jockeys steer their horses around the fence.
Beyond it lay the body of Ornais, covered by green tarpaulins. The horse, ridden by Nick Scholfield, had broken its neck when it fell at the fence, the fourth obstacle on the National's first circuit.
The horrifying scene was repeated when the field missed out Becher's Brook to avoid the body of Dooney's Gate, which had broken its back when attempting to clear the infamous fence first time round.
Jockey Patrick Mullins, having his first ride in the National, was thrown clear of his mount and avoided injury.

article-1375310-0B8E265100000578-656_634x347.jpg

A racecourse worker waves a chequered warning flag as the field thunders over the 19th fence on the Grand National course

But the 10-year-old horse, trained by his father, Willie Mullins, and owned by his mother, Jackie, died.
Clare Balding, who hosted the BBC's coverage, was close to tears as she revealed the news, while former National-winning jockey Richard Dunwoody said: 'It's absolutely terrible.'
Paul Nicholls, trainer of Ornais and three other horses in the race, said: 'I feel gutted for his owners, the Stewart family, but together we'll get through it.'

article-1375310-0B8E27B600000578-341_634x286.jpg

Jockeys guide their mounts round the 20th fence to avoid the tarpaulin-covered body of Ornais, who had fallen there on the first circuit, fatally breaking his neck

Willie Mullins said: 'Patrick is devastated. The horse was dead when the vets got to him.'
Sir Alex Ferguson, co-owner of What A Friend, followed the race from his seat at Manchester United's Premier League match with Fulham at Old Trafford. His horse was pulled up four fences from home and Sir Alex said: 'He came back OK and that's all that matters.'
The tragedies followed the death of Inventor on the first day of the meeting on Thursday, and added to the growing list of casualties at the Liverpool course.

article-1375310-0B8E24D600000578-651_634x327.jpg

Two fences later, the field misses out Becher's Brook to avoid Dooneys Gate, whose body lies surrounded by screens after he fell at the infamous fence on the first circuit, breaking his back and dying almost certainly instantaneously

There were four deaths at the three-day meeting last year, five in 2009 and since 2000 a staggering 33 horses have died at the Aintree spring festival amid increasing protests from animal welfare groups.
The BBC were criticised after one commentator referred to the body of one of the dead horses as an 'obstacle'.

A BBC spokesman said: 'We were aware of the unfortunate events of the two fatalities. During the race and the re-run this was covered with as much sensitivity as possible.'

Back