Guide to streaming your TV to your iPhone/iPad smoothly for free using e2Player

Matt_E

Guide to streaming your TV to your iPhone/iPad smoothly for free using en2Player

Hi everyone, I've spent a long time trying different apps for streaming from the telly to my iPhone and iPad for when my missus is watching something crap on the telly but even the paid ones were glitchy as hell except blackbox but then when IOS9 was released it became just as glitchy as the rest. I gave up looking for a while but last week I found this app called En2Player on the app store and its advertised as a no-frills player but it is absolutly free and I think it looks great and has every feature you could ask for with some nice gesture controls for an extra little treat but most importantly it streams so smoothly once you setup the transcoding.

I've been using it a while now and watched many programmes using it unlike all the other apps as with the other ones it was near impossible to watch anything due to all the glitching so I figured it would be a nice idea to write a quick guide for you guys to show how mine is setup so you can all enjoy smooth streaming to your iDevices too as I've seen many posts asking about this on this forum and others.

If you have a multi-tuner setup it will let you watch one channel on your iPhone whilst someone else (the missus) watches a different channel on the telly but if you only have a single tuner setup dont worry because you can still stream the channel thats on the telly or any other channel that is using the same transponder.

Anyways that enough waffling on from me so lets get down to business.

First step is to download En2player from the app store for FREE

once it is installed fire it up and you should see a screen like this
Photo 22-06-2016, 7 56 13 p.m2..jpg

Hit the + sign that the arrow is pointing to and it will give you the options to connect to your box. Give it a name and then under host put your boxes ip address. then leave the rest of the details the same except you need to turn on Transcode live stream (as if you just stream direct it gets glitchy)

Photo 23-06-2016, 11 50 12 a.m..jpg

With the above screen still open press the 'Multi Transcoding Options' and it should open the following screen
Photo 23-06-2016, 11 50 18 a.m..jpg then change the options to look like this Photo 23-06-2016, 11 51 06 a.m..jpg

but if you have a pants router or a lot of people using your internet you may need to change the resolution to 480 but for me this setup is flawless. Once it all looks the same as the above image you need to press done then it will take you back to the previous option screen. IMPORTANT- Make sure you press save on this screen.

It seems more long winded than it is, it only takes a few seconds to set up in reality.

Once you have saved the settings you will be back at the screen that shows the boxes you have saved to the app, so click the box you named earlier to take you to the following screen.

Photo 23-06-2016, 11 50 06 a.m..jpg

Don't go to the box option even though it seems like you should because it loads all channels even satellites that aren't in use you need to go to 'Favorites TV' and it will show you any bouquets you have stored on your box whilst listing the channels alphabetical order. (My issue here is that on my box I only generated the main bouquet for all channels so the list is pretty long and takes a couple of seconds to load and scroll through all the regional channels but if you have it split into separate bouquets like entertainment, music, kids etc it should be much better).
Choose the channel you want to stream and it will show the program info and you need to choose the options from the top right corner and it will show the following screen

Photo 23-06-2016, 11 53 10 a.m..jpg

Hit stream 'channel name' and you should be enjoying a smooth stream.

Photo 22-06-2016, 7 55 57 p.m..jpg

When you are viewing a program and see the above screen you are able to use some pretty funky gestures for controlling the app you can use one finger and slide up or down on the screen to turn the volume up and down or use two fingers and slide up or down to adjust the brightness. With one finger if you slide to the right it brings up the following screen to scroll through channels.

Photo 23-06-2016, 11 56 28 a.m..jpg

Or with two fingers you can slide left or right to change to the previous/next channel. You can also double tap the screen with one finger to refresh the connection and finally you can tap the screen with two fingers to bring up the following options.

Photo 23-06-2016, 1 27 44 p.m..jpg

I know its a long winded post and I will probably come and edit it down a little bit soon but give it a go and if you have any problems feel free to ask away.

Last edited:
I am so sorry. I just checked and its actually called en2player. I've been thinking all this time it was e2player. I will go through and edit it now. And spelectronic I am also using an iPhone 6 so hopefully you will have some luck with it. As I said earlier I also gave up hope of finding something that worked well enough to actually use.

Last edited:
Good to hear. Thanks for letting us know. Don't forget if you do run into any glitching you can try lowering the resolution to 480. But on the flip side if it runs really smooth you could ask try a higher resolution and bitrate but for me these settings look pretty sweet.

Yeah I have it on 480 which still looks great. Think I would pick my moments as when to stream from it, as at the point where you click on a channel using the app, the tv will briefly pixelate, although earlier it did just that but the it just froze. Sorted by just flicking to another tv channel and back, but just something you might want to be aware of.

Just out of interest are you using openatv or vix. I was using openatv and have used en2player on my upstairs s2 okay but haven't used it much as my main box is now an h2s which is what I've been mainly using for streaming. Wonder if anyone else I having the same issues.

Im using open atv on a zgemma s2. Not sure if it's related to the streaming that I did earlier but now have alot of glitching/ channels going blank. In the process of resetting router etc, don't normally get issues with my line..

Excellent guide, 10 out of 10.

Set it up on my iPad air 2 to the letter of your guide, got all the info, boquets from the box etc, but no streaming.....

I checked on the download page of iTunes and it showed Transcoding off, not green, so I did the same, I now get streaming.

A bit odd this one.

Is there something I have missed?

screen322x572.jpeg

Rs47

Yes as default it has transcoding off but I found it a bit glitchy like that and when I turned transoding on I had the same problem you did. It would try and play the channel then go black and return to the menu. It was only by going through the multi transcoding options and setting them all as I show in the first post that it worked properly. BUT I've noticed you don't have the option. just wondering if maybe you have a single tuner setup or a multi tuner. If you have a single tuner maybe it won't show those options and multi transcoding means just that. For when you are viewing one channel on the telly and one on the phone. But if that's the case there should be some transoding settings for single tuners. I'll look into it.

Ryan38.

Sorry to hear that it really shouldn't have anything to do with this as it doesn't actually change anything on your box just connects to it the same way you would using the laptop to connect to openwebif. Only thing Incan think of from the top of my head possiby some (tight) providers don't allow you to use multi tuners on one line it's not that common but maybe you should check with them because when you use the box normally they wouldn't know because only one tuner will be in use at one time when flicking through channels but if you are viewing one channel on the telly and one on the iPhone / iPad they could view this as Using the line on two boxes. Which would have the same symptoms you are describing. I have to say though every line provider I've dealt with has not done this and has software in place so they know it is just a multi tuner but I have heard from other users that have similar problems when trying to record one channel and view another. There is no way of knowing without you speaking to them. Some people have only had to tell their provider it is a multi tuner and they don't charge extra they just want to make sure your not sharing your line But other do try and charge extra. Sorry I can't help more

Matt_E

thanks for your reply.

I have Zgema H.2S, both Tuners have Satellite feeds and are working well.

The pic I posted is from iTunes download page, see link below, not my setup.

Code:
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/en2player/id956118762?mt=8

I have also noticed the glitching and freezing of streams to a point of no further pictures being received.
I will have a play about some more tomorrow and will report back.

Thank you again.

When you had transcoding on did you change the multi transcoding settings to how I put mine in the OP. Sorry your not having much luck with it.

Hi,

All my settings are exactly as per your guide.

I just turned transcoding on, no stream, off, some streaming.

Thanks again.

Can't get this working on my Edision, with live transcode on it try's to play but quits, with live transcode off only a select few channels will stream but only when set to 480p.

hmmmm ?

I'm having trouble with the transcode options screen i set them all to what you show then press done, when i go back into that screen they all just say click to set as if i haven't set them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Matt_E

Thanks for your great guide on the en2Player ios app, much appreciated as its been a great help.

One question though... Have you been able to configure picons for TV favourites at all?

I've been playing about with it but unfortuantely no joy. I added source files within the app to point to my usb storage device where my picons are located for the ZGemma H2s but the app doesnt seem to pick them up. Also, I have an ipad mini2 and iphone 6, which seems to work pretty quick with the app, but the ipad mini2 seems very slow and clunky? Any thoughts?

Thanks again

Regards

AM.

Thanks for the great article - wonder if anyone can help? When I click on the 'options' the en2player just exits completely?

Curious to know if any users got this to work remotely outside of their home network? Thanks for the guide, Very handy app.

Back