Guinea Pigs Needed

kiddac

Test my Tutorial (WIP) Cheers

** file edited 03/01/2016 **

new post now here
http://www.techkings.org/zgemma-star-2s/84949-bare-bones-openatv-new-setup-guide.html

I have spent the last few hours writing up, how to set up a Zgemma 2s from scratch using the latest openatv files. This means setting up everything without having to use a backup image.
This setup is a bare bones clean setup. No Kodi, no tspanel, no media portal, no picons etc etc. Basically no crap just essentials.

I need some willing victims who are prepared to go through my tutorial before I set it live on this forum. I need both experts and especially noobs.
It is hopefully worded so even first timers should be able to follow it.

It will probably take you about 1.5 hours first time around. about 40 mins if you know what you are doing

What's included.

Setting up your zgemma
Backup your line
Using filezilla
Downloading latest firmware
Formatting USB
Flashing new firmware
Setting up your new build
Setting up your external usb/hdd
Plugins
Scanning for Channels
Auto Bouquets Maker
Manual Scan
Setting up EPG
Installing your Line
Skins
How to do a Software Update
Picons
Image Backup
Troubleshooting

I would like you to go through my tutorial step by step and see if everything is in there and that everything works.

Disclaimer... this is a work in progress document. There well may be errors. Although I have just gone through this exact step to re-set up my box.

If you have the time the document is here in user guides.

New guide updated 03/01/2016
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kn6apupi45vs8an/AAA1GLMBPjwnaoFCVNiWaD7Za?dl=0

Please give me your feedback so I can amend it before posting it properly on these forums.

Have fun.

Last edited:
Good work and a good guide (y)....

Maybe add a picture of where the co-ax cables go - it's amazing how many get this wrong as the labelling on box is unclear.
Also when setting up disk after the initialise don't forget convert to ext4.

Once you're setup as you have then install FlashExpander before any other extensions and plugins and do your backup. Now run the flashexpander addon this transfers your /etc folder off the box and onto USB - it makes booting a little slower but the normal operation of the box stays nice and nippy - plus there's no limit to the extensions/plugins you can then install as they are saved on your usb. The only drawback is if your usb gets messed up you have to reinstall them.

MTpockets - thanks for your reply. I have got some images to include the instructions if necessary, it was just getting a bit long. As for the ext3 or ext4, I am no Linux expert, but I did a little research on this. As this guide will initially be for people new to this, I haven't recommended changing the file system to ext4 because that immediately makes it unreadable with windows. And although it's in my guide how to recover a usb to be read by windows I think people are going to get concerned that there usb/hdd are bricked or corrupt. I also read you have to properly unmount a usb/hdd if using ext4 otherwise you are likely to corrupt it. Apart from the transfer speed benefit I don't really understand the need to change to ext4. Unless I recommend people format a HDD to ext4 and leave a USB stick as ext3. Opinions welcome.

As for the flashexpander, it might be worth me mentioning that before the plugins section for people that are potentially going to add extra large plugins, but again this guide is for a fast bare bones setup. I have very little extensions/plugins installed so don't really need the extra space.

well kiddac I have learnt two things from you today....
I hadn't realised ext3 worked on windows pc's
And I didn't know there were E2 sat dish alignment tools available on your phone

Your guide really is taking shape mate, well done and I'm sure the community on here will be appreciative (y)(those that can be bothered to do a bit of reading anyway lol)

Thanks. If it wasnt for the original backup images i wouldnt have a clue. As now mentioned at the top of this guide, this info has all been learned from questions asked and doing a bit of research on this site and similar sites. The only reason i learnt so much is I set everything up myself including installing the dish. This didn't initially go to plan, so i had plenty of time to experiment with my box. If it would have all worked first time i probably wouldn't have done so much research

Just a thought - is it worth mentioning the backup size limit (ie rootfs.bin needs to be smaller than 120million bytes) in order to achieve a flashable backup?

Hi all ... Wow this is a fantastic guide ....

Quick question ... Would this work with the Zgemma S .

I know its a single tuner but is everything else the same ?

I'm sure this may have been covered (and I apologise if it has). What would you guys recommend for wifi ? do the wifi usb dongles ( the ones for the S*ybox f5s for examble ) work or whats the best option for wifi. Cheers lads ....

I'm sure this may have been covered (and I apologise if it has). What would you guys recommend for wifi ? do the wifi usb dongles ( the ones for the S*ybox f5s for examble ) work or whats the best option for wifi. Cheers lads ....

I've seen a thew post saying that the ones for skybox work ok I use home plugs one goes into router other goes into box no setup need

curious as you said not to initialize your drive and ext3 to 4,if you want to record it maybe the only way.
why remove usb when setup to work on box as there are programs like samba and nfs to mount your box on your network and use pc to play files all connected to box.keep up the good work it will only get better when everybody contributes.(y)

Great read you may wish to add the Zgemma does not like the old sky lnb which may need to be changed they work on skyboxes but not the zgemma

Back