H.2H crashing - probably low memory, but it never uses its Swap file...

Delta

This is starting to do my head in. The box is crashing if I'm too quick through the EPG, if I rewind too quickly, if it doesn't like what channel I'm watching (maybe!)...

I'm using sucmnsee's OpenVIX image. I've got a 16GB SD card, set to be used as 256MB swap, epg, crossEPG, and timeshifting. (recordings go on an NFS network drive)

Watching what the box is doing using the Linux top command, I can see that it NEVER utilises the available Swap file, despite running dangerously low on memory. The cache also seems pretty hefty. The Swap IS active, and cacheflush is enabled...
What is the point of having the Swap file available, if it never bothers swapping out, preferring to run out of memory and crash?!
Why is that cache so big?

I really like this box, OpenVIX, and this skin when it's bloody working...!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

---------- Post Merged at 01:23 AM ----------

CacheFlush:

---------- Post Merged at 01:35 AM ----------

Well I've just been playing around with it, and if I manually clear the cache with, the top command shows buff/cache drops down to around 28MB. But then it starts increasing immediately in front of my very eyes! Within 30 seconds it's back up to nearly 200MB! No wonder the poor box is struggling!

WTF is going on?

---------- Post Merged at 01:42 AM ----------

Right, more research... This page says the buff/cache is used for caching the filesystem, but that this memory should be immediately released to the OS if other processes need it.

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/166558/how-to-check-which-process-is-using-most-memory

I'd hazard a guess that it is not getting released quick enough when the timeshifter needs it.

I've increased the uncahced memory size to its maximum of 20480kB, and this is leaving more memory free. I wish I could increase it further...

Still don't know why it never uses swap though...

---------- Post Merged at 02:22 AM ----------

I feel a bit stupid now...
http://www.linuxatemyram.com/

Buuuuuuuuuuut...... The box does seem more stable since I increased the Uncahed memory size....!

Attachments

• zgemma top.png
    zgemma top.png
    87.8 KB · Views: 30
  • cf.jpg
    cf.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Back