H2.H Newbie can I do this???

Seaco

Hi All

My father had a H2.S until yesterday when we had the thunderstorms here in the UK, this fried his H2.S so he wants to renew and upgrade he had all the S** etc. channels before and all was well so on looking it seems there is a newer box the H2.H which he wants to get.

Now my question is should I go for the standard box and upgrade to all the channels myself or should I pay a lot extra and buy a box ready to go, I can use computers I have a Minix box for Kodi for example but I'm wondering just how difficult it would be to do this myself and save him a fair bit of money any opinions and links to good How To's would really be appreciated...

Lee

Have you got the line/gift details that were on the H2S box? The H2H is combo sky and cable tuner and h2s is a dual sat tuner so if you don't plan on using the cable side or don't have cable in your area better sticking to the h2s. Quite easy to setup - plenty of info on the forum here - just do a bit of reading up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The H2H and H2S are equivalent boxes - they're exactly the same other than the tuners. The H2H is NOT an upgrade, nor a downgrade - and they're the same age.
H2S = 2 x satellite
H2H = 1 x satellite, 1 x cable.
If you don't have a cable feed to your house, then you will almost certainly want the H2S.

Buy the basic box, then set it up using an image found on here. There's an image for most purposes (depending if you want sat only, cable only, or both at once in the case of the H2H) with loads of support and the latest skins. And undoubtly, if you buy a premade box it'll be based off an image here!

Thank you for all the replies I didn't realise about the H2H being cable "DOH!" I will tell him to get another H2S as there's no cable here and I'll have a look for the files I need to download, any clues on the search wording I'd be looking for?

Lee

Just go to the firmware section for h2s mate then pick the one you want out it on a USB plug it in and power up your box, follow the instructions where you got the firmware step by step and you'll be ok

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

get your firm ware from the zgemma site mate its quite easy to set the box up once you put your image on the box

I have done as you suggested but when I go to the H2S download area there are several things to download which should I choose?

2016-09-15_01-17-30.jpg

For newbies try the openvix version, if you feel a little more confident try the openATV version, this one takes a little more setting up but has the option of updating over the internet. Openvix is a patched version so what ever you do not online update. (You will need to reflash you receiver a maybe twice a year depending on how much things change over the course of time)
With any version theres plenty of help available on here. The only way to learn and be able to "look" after your receiver is to try the above one of the above or both. Good luck :-)

Edit; if you have not bought the receiver yet look at the Eddison mini combo, with this receiver you can update it using either image and it comes with a 2 year warranty

Last edited:
i use openvix but a lot use openatv ive never had any issus with open vix just remember if you use openvix to dissable updates mate

I have told dad to just get the H2S box and I'll sort it for him (wish me luck) thanks all again for the very good advice...

Lee

"Dangerous" Edit; if you have not bought the receiver yet look at the Eddison mini combo, with this receiver you can update it using either image and it comes with a 2 year warranty"

Dad already used the H2S so he says he knows that and wants to stick to that, would there be any advantage to the Edison over the H2S?

The obvious part of what dangerous says - For me - is the warranty, the open vix updates over air, is a nonsense, as, again, for me, one operating system is pretty much the same as the other.
I currently bought a H2S, and had it flashed with line on it within twelve minutes using Wooshbuild. it is a piece of Pish to do.
A pal of mine was a SKY subscriber up until a couple of weeks ago reckons it does as much as Sky does, I lent him mine when I went on holidays.

If a two year warranty is most important, maybe edison, but for me, it is the H2S

ive had my h2h over a year its not missed a beat in that time .the h2s is just the same mate only using sly in stead of using sly/vermin box and if you use a usb hard drive you can watch one program and record another on the h2s box mate

Don't me wrong guys Ive had all the zgemma's, it's just with prices at the moment being good on other receivers it's always worth looking around. Personally a 2 year warranty is very appealing.

Back