H2H repeating errors - box failing

RM1989

So I've recently setup a H2H for a mate and had to go back a few times to troubleshoot his box. The problem is no matter what I flash the box with, within a day the box gets an error then fails to boot. I then have to reflash.

So I've tried dsayers atv 5.3 build twice, I then went for his latest 6.0 build. And then I went for the latest nightly vix build and configured abm with dsayers custommix.

I believe it could be any of the below, looking for help...
1. SNR problem - The cable tuner is only getting about 70% SNR and as a result the HD channels are glitchy. I've replaced a 5-25000Mhz splitter with 5-1000Mhz which improved it but it's still not watchable. I then upgraded his cheap coax to wf100 with cabelcon 5.1 connectors. This seemed to make it worse but my cable stripping job was shoddy though as I used a Stanley instead of a stripper so could have been that. Could the low SNR and constant HD channel glitching eventually somehow crash the box?
2. Faulty HDD? - I'm just using a standard Toshiba canvio 500gb external hdd. Each time I've reflashed the box I reformatted the drive to FAT then initialised in box and converted to ext4. I haven't used the low level format tool a I figured with the hdd being reformatted and then initialised it would clear bad sectors, am I wrong? Should I use the low level format? I'm debating sending the drive back and just trying another hdd.
3. Faulty H2H? - Failing points 1 and 2, could the actual box be faulty? Not sure how unless it's hardware related as a reflash should totally wipe any buggy software...

I had two boxes in my house, my original one and then bough a new one.... never had an issue with the original one but the new one was faulty.

it worked OK for a week but then the picture would freeze and the box needed a restart, then it wouldnt boot, i reflashed it with my backup image from the other box, wouldnt boot, reflashed with different image versions, wouldnt boot.

I then flashed bootloader and then put another image on only to have the same repeated issues. if i kept the bootloader in via USB, the box would boot but as soon as its removed it wouldnt have any of it.

Always seemed to stay in standby otherwise....

so long story short, id be inclined to say the box is faulty, you have a tough call though because if youve flashed it with a different image to what you purchased at, and if you bought if from an auction site the seller could try and wiggle out of it because in effect you have "modified" it so theyll blame you. Luckily mine was returned to them within 14 days which is UK law under the sales of goods act that an item can be returned within 14 days, faulty or not; its a 14 day cooling off period because you didnt buy the item on the sellers premises.

*** With regards to the signal issue, 70% is pretty good, you wouldnt experience issue with that signal rate, i put a lengthy post up previously with regards to signal issues and fault finding - check out think link http://techkings.org/threads/h2h-glitch-problems.123930/page-2 ***

Last edited:
Back