Hard drive that doesn't sleep?

Then they go to sleep, unless you know the secret with the zgem boxes?or maybe differing makes to wd dont spin down?

Last edited:
think i am missing something as to why you want a hdd that does not spin down when inactive?
most hdd will go to sleep when inactive and makes them longer lasting

Sorry it spins down while trying to pause rewind, so theres no point in trying to replace a v6? After 10 mins it sleeps the zgem doesn't wake it up. The usb powered is fine.

and is that hdd externally powered as if i was viewing a recording i can control speed and play .
is the hdd ext3 - ext4?

Yeah i do...i bought a externally powered one first. Kept going to sleep. I have the same one on my shieldtv, that wakes it up. The zgem doesn't.

He did Dave, he bought a mains powered one but it fails to wake up when it goes to sleep - I had this same problem a while back and now wondering if it's a flaw with WD drives in general.

I've used the toshiba canvio usb powerred hdd for over a year without an issue and its being recorded on/played back on a daily basis. Some believe you must have a powered drive but have shown no evidence to show why.

Back