Harmony Hub

Sparky7ot

Thinking of getting a Harmony hub and remote for my Zgemma. I want it to control the zgemma, TV and surround sound.
Are they any good for home automation?

If you only want it to control those devices and maybe a couple more that require remote then you’d be good to go with Logitech Harmony 650 particularly for cost purpose. Although the 350 or 600 is of course cheaper but the 650 has an LCD screen so easier to check what devices you want to control

I use this myself and control the same devices you mentioned.

If you want to start controlling things by voice then the Harmony hub and amazon echo will suit you fine. (Not all devices compatible) however you can try and use IFTTT to locate the programming for the device you want to control by voice

I am looking to control through echo as you mentioned but I also like to use a remote, especially the Zgemma one cos it has all my hotkeys setup.
My zgemma remote is always packing up on me so I currently use the dreamdroid app.
Are the harmony remotes similar in setup/layout. Can you programme hot keys?

When you program the remotes it’s done by computer so you connect via usb to your computer or laptop (download Harmony app to computer first)

You then select the device you want to connect. Great thing about Harmony is they’ve included the Zgemma remote in their device list so essentially all functions will be available.

When you program the remotes it’s done by computer so you connect via usb to your computer or laptop (download Harmony app to computer first)

You then select the device you want to connect. Great thing about Harmony is they’ve included the Zgemma remote in their device list so essentially all functions will be available.

Brilliant Thanks. Do you use the echo to control the Zgemma?

I don’t personally use echo for this, considered it but quite like using the remote for the moment. May try it in due course.

I hope you get everything set up as you want it, I’m sure itl work great.

This is the remote i use, its called the harmony companion remote and has its own hub, and its got dedicated buttons for turning my philips hue lights on/off and also turning up/down the dimness of them too.

d09d5a128d8fdc2d24fc2dee6bdd101d.jpg

Back