Have ISPs started throttling bandwidth on IPTV

CliffyT

I have a zgemma h2s with an IPTV sub. My broadband provider is BT. Last night I was plagued by blocky images and frequent stuttering while trying to watch the Wales v Ireland match in FHD or HD. SD was a bit better though. I flicked through the other sports channels and noticed the problem was occurring with them too. AT this point I concluded that my provider's severs must be oversubscribed.

Out of desperation, not long after half time I switched on my box's VPN to see if it made any difference (I switch it off when there's no PL games on). Instantly streaming was perfect and stayed that way for the rest of the evening.

This morning I find out that a friend of mine experienced exactly the same problems as me last night but he left his VPN off and the issues never went away. He uses a different ISP (VM) and has a different provider.

The only conclusion I can draw is that ISPs are now starting to throttle the bandwidth to certain IPTV servers during peak times.

Did anyone else suffer with interruptions to their IPTV service last night?

Im starting to wonder im with SLY and im getting worse playback thne ever BUT saying that its on a Zgemma box only my iptv on my Samsung tv is fine and the PP on firestick was also fine last night weird one. Oh and the last two machines i mentioned (Tv and Firestick) are wireless the Zgemma in hard wired right next to the router on speed test on box its getting 65mb???

I personal, would always use an ethernet for streaming..less chance of buffering
Well i always used powerline adaters but in last couple of months my lounge sockets have decided they will no longer work in them??? For years pretty much since they first came out the first from Ebuyer i have been using them. But in last 2 months i have used EVERY make expensive to cheap from solwise to trendnet and all just give up after 24hrs never t connect again soooooo frustrating.
Anywyas why is it wireless on TV app is fine and PP also??? but Zgemma is bad???

This morning I find out that a friend of mine experienced exactly the same problems as me last night but he left his VPN off and the issues never went away. He uses a different ISP (VM) and has a different provider.

as your friend has VM is your friend using a VM cs line/code, IF so then he is not streaming IPTV like you are so his issues would not be related blocking streams.

as your friend has VM is your friend using a VM cs line/code, IF so then he is not streaming IPTV like you are so his issues would not be related blocking streams.
Sorry, to be clear, VM is his broadband supplier but he is streaming via the zgemma - I know this because I set it up for him.

ISP'S have started to do throttle connections, vm,bt,sky,vodafone seem to be the worst for it, using a vpn stops this but you need to make sure the vpn location doesn't drop the download rate,as some vpn's do.

Cliffy, I have 2 IPTV providers, 1 of them is basically rock solid usually, the other is a cheap back-up that will run behind a VPN with a few extra channel choices. Last night during the Wales game I was really struggling with the feeds from both of them.
I turned OpenVPN on and suddenly everything was fine with my cheap supplier, not a stutter for the rest of the match.

I am also with BT (Ethernet connection to a Mut@nt HD51) and have generally always put any issues down to supplier or possibly my setup, but last night I felt my broadband was being throttled. Coincidence? Maybe. It could just be BT being generally poor, never ran a speedtest or anything.

Never had this issue on IPTV, and i am with Sky Fibre MAX, and run a NW cable direct from router into a 6 port switch, and this supplies the connection to my Z-Gemma Box, Android Box, PC in another room and both Ps4 & Xbox.
These are not all on at the same time, but i can have the Z-Gemma on with IPTV Running and family connected to Wireless.
Never had an issue, no dropping. And no VPN. I had a VPN Setup to TEST, and the speed i was getting was poor, so ditched and never had it back on.
No Issues

Never had this issue on IPTV, and i am with Sky Fibre MAX, and run a NW cable direct from router into a 6 port switch, and this supplies the connection to my Z-Gemma Box, Android Box, PC in another room and both Ps4 & Xbox.
These are not all on at the same time, but i can have the Z-Gemma on with IPTV Running and family connected to Wireless.
Never had an issue, no dropping. And no VPN. I had a VPN Setup to TEST, and the speed i was getting was poor, so ditched and never had it back on.
No Issues
I had similar in set up on Sky fibre max one Zgemma direct to router in kitchen second via poweline adapter in lounge (Until they stopped working) and 3 xbone's hammering away and various tablets and phones connected and IPTV was brill..I had few drops in connection on router then thats when i started getting my issues. Ive just been on text speaking to sky they said i had used 1507GB in Aug/Sept so would not send a open reach engineer as all seems to be working lol...
The router would drop connection then wipe out the powerline adapters and they would never pair up or work again in the lounge.

Last edited:
I would never have a bt or sky connection, they have a vested interest in blocking iptv. I use talk talk and VPN as required.
In fact i have currently turned vpn on all the time on my zgemma h2s box. I didn't have to turn vpn on 24/7, as only some. Channels were blocked when epl footy is on. But i also have 3 subs and jump between them.

Sent from my XT1572 using Tapatalk

i run been with BT for many years never had a problem

Iptv or downloading at fully speed 24/7
60mb. Full speed.

Nothing gets blocked

Im at a loss lol....What to do try VPN jump ship from Sly or try another supplier jesus this is getting complicated lol. Was so much simpler back in the card sharing days lol

@siilver so your football on the weekends works ok with BT? mine never works. infact when its game time none of my channels load and I have to wait till the end of the last match has finished!

I am on Plusnet son is on BT neither of us run a Vpn and both our IPTV subs work fine. Or as well as can be expected for IPTV

tried to PM but it doesn't show up? any chance you can put me forward to your iptv supplier?

yea thats the reason i have pm off lol
i got them of this site

so your better trying a few out and paying a small amount for a short time

what is good for me might be bad for you and i dont recommend any
sorry

Back