HDMI Problem - Any Bright Ideas?

isdbnull

I know this is a long shot but I just thought I would ask.
I bought my father-in-law a Zgemma Star 2S and set it up for him yesterday. Alas there seems to be some issue between the box and his TV. The box works absolutely fine with other TVs, but on his 10-year old Sony (KDL-S32A12U) it all goes pear shaped as soon as the loading screen ends. The OpenVix loading screen looks fine, but then the whole picture distorts absolutely. If I press Menu on the Zgemma box I can just about detect that the fuzz on the screen visibly changed to reflect the fact that the Menu screen actually is being displayed somewhere in there, but nothing is in any way viewable.
I have set as many display settings to Auto as I can on the Zgemma, but I can't find any HDMI input config options whatsoever in the TV menu.
Anybody got any bright ideas that might help?

Haven't got this box myself, but is there a 50Hz/60Hz option in any of the video setting menus?

Most modern TV's can sync to both, but some older ones only sync to 50Hz.

Yeah, there are some options like this, which I'm pretty sure I had set to their automatic settings, but I'll take another look later when I go round there and fiddle with it some more.

---------- Post Merged at 12:50 PM ----------

I'll give the composite option a bash as well. The old fella still claims he can't tell the difference between an SD and an HD picture anyway, so that might just do the trick.

If it's anything like the openbox/skybox, then you might also need to change video resolutions (1080i/1080p/720i etc.) as well as 50/60Hz

Yeah, there are some options like this, which I'm pretty sure I had set to their automatic settings, but I'll take another look later when I go round there and fiddle with it some more.

---------- Post Merged at 12:50 PM ----------

I'll give the composite option a bash as well. The old fella still claims he can't tell the difference between an SD and an HD picture anyway, so that might just do the trick.

Thats your problem there!! Turn off automatic resolution (disabled) set display 4:3 and 16:9 to "just scale" and refresh rate to "multi" and video output to HDMI.

Back