Help me get started out with Cable :)

ruud82

So I've been using a Sly Satellite receiver (single tuner) for about 3 years now without many problems but have now switched over my internet provider to Virgin Media and have been thinking about setting up with a Cable box (mainly for HD) and have a few questions that I hope someone can help me with.

1 - Is it possible to have two cable inputs to allow watching/recording simultaneously (without using the Sky inputs)?
2 - When looking for boxes I'm seeing a lot of different abbreviations and it is very confusing trying to understand what can work for me. What letters should I be looking for? (lets just say for cable only boxes at the moment).

3 - What sort of features can you get in each price bracket? I think single tuner would be enough (it has been for 3 year) but assuming my Question 1 above is possible, can you get a whole lot more for not much more £?

4 - How easy are the boxes to set up and maintain? are they any more difficult than satellite/sky receivers.

I'll probably have a few more questions but have started out with just these ones for now. I've already had a look at splitters and the f-coax bits and pieces that I will need to amend that single cable-hub that I currently have.

Cheers

1. yes you will need 2 tuners
2. you can get a edislon o/s mini with single cable tuner for £79
3.once these boxes are set up you dont have to touch them best feature is 7 day epg
4. easy then you just update from the box.

1. yes you will need 2 tuners
2. you can get a edislon o/s mini with single cable tuner for £79
3.once these boxes are set up you dont have to touch them best feature is 7 day epg
4. easy then you just update from the box.

Thanks mate.

With regards to my point number 1. I have one solitary cable going into the hub at the moment. I understand I require a splitter to allow one cable into the hub and another into the receiver. How do I get 2 cables into the receiver for the dual tuner functionality? Is there some additional splitting required?

Also, which dual tuner would you recommend for a simple setup and ease of use?

I may still go with a single tuner but seeing as a dual tuner for cable is possible, I'm interested :)

Hi mate, I have cable set up and use a VU+ Solo se v2 box which is a twin tuner box, however you dont need to split your cable as the signal is split within the box so just one feed. As for setting it up use Bees guide(many thanks) and ignore the sat part and set tuners A&B for cable. You will need an f connector and if you want to record a decent usb external hard drive. Hope this helps.

I've got a Gigablue and that splits internally too. So I only had to split the cable once.

But it's an RF adaptor he needs, not an F connector - the cable already has these on but it doesn't screw in the way a satellite cable does.

You will need to pay for a cable subscription you won't be able to use your existing sat line.

They are about twice the price but if you have a big telly the HD is fantastic.

There is a guide here

Some boxes don't have internal splitters so you would just use a three way, 2 feed to the box and 1 to the router.
plus two F to ariel adaptors.

Konig-3-Way-TV-and-Radio-Splitter.jpg

Twin tuners, VU Solo V2, Miraclebox premium twin plus, Gigablue X3 or Ultra, Technomate M2
something like that flashed with Openvix

You want one with 2 x DVB -C (twin cable tuner)

Thanks for all the help guys.

Which of each type of box would you recommend for ease of use/setup. Single Tuners and Twin Tuners? (with Internal splitters)

Are the twin tuners just as easy to setup?

They're both exactly the same really, you just have to replicate the settings in the second tuner (yes you even have to do that if you have an internal splitter - I do with mine anyway).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back