Help Needed To Open A .DAT File Extension

j4v3d

VIP Member
Hi

i am trying to open this .DAT File which is meant to be a video - im trying to play it on the PC - tried using VLC Media Player that doesnt help - i know there are many .DAT file extensions used like for emails etc.

Need to open this file up and view it on the computer.

First time ive come across a DAT file lol

Your help would be much appreciated.

HPJFv.png

Is it something that someone has sent to you as an email attachment? If so you can try this service, or just have them resend it.
Code:
http://www.winmaildat.com/

ferguj1 its a dvd disc they have given me - its video footage taken from a CCTV that i need to view. Cant ask him what he uses because he's not at home at the moment.

i dont know anything about it but do know that these files can be hard to find the correct prog to open them. When you look online its not always as helpful as you need. But have you tried another media player like itunes or windows?

I would still give that site a try and see if it will get it.

Going with what Linny said, its not so much finding the correct player, as it is knowing the origination of the file. There are so many variations of that extension. It could be simply that the file is incomplete, you get that extension behind files that you download as they are in the process. It could house the video files as you say. You can make a copy of the file and then change the copies extension from .DAT to .mpg and then try playing it. Or it could just be an actual data file to tell a program how to execute. Lots of room for interpretation and error.

Last edited:
done that and downloaded the file back to the PC - Tried opening with VLC Media Player no luck at all - where am i going wrong? Will have to ask the guy who gave me the disk.

just seen it now - will give your solution another go and will ask him what he uses to view the video file. Thanks

its a very small file for vid at 1.02 mb

Especially for a DVD disc, more like a floppy disc. If it is a video file maybe try setting your comp to show file extensions and change extension to .mpg or .AVI

Worth a try,
jodav :)

I'm just going to ask him what he used to view on his laptop. File size is too small as well. Confused! LOL

You can use the Fileviewpro software which really helpful for you, you can easily download this.

Code:
http://www.fileviewpro.com/en/file-extension-wps/

-

Last edited by a moderator:
Back