Help on buying a box for HD TV

darrena

Hi all

Like many others I'm looking to cancel the sky subscription and look at a cheaper alternative to paying sky £45 a month

We currently have a 2 satellite feeds to the living along with a hard wired Ethernet cable (70mb cable broadband) and in our bedroom we have cable tv through virgin media.

HD and potentially 4k in the future is important to us as we have a really nice 50 inch TV but I'm unsure what my options are as I understand Pay per view HD channels are not available though a sat feed and a gift subscription!

Any help would be really appreciated

For HD TV you need a cable box.

Then you need to think if recording facilities are important.

All servers are slightly different, I get PPV boxing and wresting events.

You don't have an "on demand" type facility but you get a full package with all the sports and films etc

Have a read here

Or iptv
100s of HD channels
Ppv events
Every 3pm kickoff
100s of movies
Ability to record
On demand

50 inch TV standard definition looks terrible.

Not if you get a good server with FHD
Cheap servers yes.
I would still rather watch compressed HD on iptv than Sd on sat and soon HD will be gone on cable it's called planning ahead lol

ive just bought a zgemma box with wooshbuild. Gives you access to all the same channels and uses your current dish. Deffo worth a try

Hi
Thank for all the replies
So we have the cable modem and cable TV cable miles away from our living room however it does run round the outside of the house past our living room, is it easy to re-route and rewire a cable modem and cable tv supply? Assume VM won't know the difference.

Also do you need two supplies for cable PVR?

Can anyone suggest a good cable box with built in PVR and twin supply for a budget inside £200

Not if you get a good server with FHD
Cheap servers yes.
I would still rather watch compressed HD on iptv than Sd on sat and soon HD will be gone on cable it's called planning ahead lol
I'm still customer of a famous iptv service (**e-iptv also known as f****ess-iptv) that had few channels in FHD till 1 or 2 weeks ago.
On the FHD channela the quality of the playback had stuttering issues or stopped during important football events.
I know it wasn't a problem on my connection not only because I have 72mb download speed, but also because I don't have any issues with raw fullhd streams that my brother sent me from his enigma box.

Unfortunately I don't think there are iptv providers that can deliver FHD channela without ton of issues (channels suddenly stopping the playback or stuttering).
If you know one that really delivers as good as a cable box would do then please let me know via pm :-)

By the way, who will provide you the hd channels once we don't have HD on cable?
Correct me if I'm not wrong but I thought iptv providers got their source from a combination of sat and cable channels.

Sent from my SM-N930F using Tapatalk

Hi
Thank for all the replies
So we have the cable modem and cable TV cable miles away from our living room however it does run round the outside of the house past our living room, is it easy to re-route and rewire a cable modem and cable tv supply? Assume VM won't know the difference.

Also do you need two supplies for cable PVR?

Can anyone suggest a good cable box with built in PVR and twin supply for a budget inside £200

If you've already got a VM TV box in your other room you can just use that cable. If you want it in the room where the router is, you can use a splitter kit, which comes with a small length of wire, to set it up.

You don't necessarily need two cables as some boxes split the feed internally so only need one input.

I agree with dillyp70 use a decent box like a mag and fine a decent server and you cant go wrong
I'm still customer of a famous iptv service (**e-iptv also known as f****ess-iptv) that had few channels in FHD till 1 or 2 weeks ago.
On the FHD channela the quality of the playback had stuttering issues or stopped during important football events.
I know it wasn't a problem on my connection not only because I have 72mb download speed, but also because I don't have any issues with raw fullhd streams that my brother sent me from his enigma box.

Unfortunately I don't think there are iptv providers that can deliver FHD channela without ton of issues (channels suddenly stopping the playback or stuttering).
If you know one that really delivers as good as a cable box would do then please let me know via pm :-)

By the way, who will provide you the hd channels once we don't have HD on cable?
Correct me if I'm not wrong but I thought iptv providers got their source from a combination of sat and cable channels.

Sent from my SM-N930F using Tapatalk

Everywhere is out of stock of the Mutant HD51 with a cable tuner, any experience with the Octagon SF4008 4K HYBRID?

Back