Help! Total newbie looking for advice on which box to buy

conmc1976

Hi

I am just after a bit of advice I don't know which box to go for. I like the price of the openbox v8s but am concerned it will give me heartache down the road due to poor quality? I have some mates that swear by technomate satellite receivers but I don't know anything about them.

i would really appreciate it if someone would take the time to pm me some advice. I just want a mid price box that can give me access to Sky channels etc. I am not interested in recording tv I just want a reliable hd box.

many thanks

Have a look at the cloud ibox, i went from the skybox f5 to the ibox and i dont look back excellent EPG, Dont forget the HD channels have gone unless you go down the road on v***in but the cline do cost more, yes people say they are a cheap clone so what i have jenson everest open pli it updates early hours of the morning for me what more do you need...and they are cheap...

If you want a box that is easy to set up you could also
have a look at the BM5000s.

If you are a first timer you may find them easier to get your head around

Ok cool thanks bees and colombus. I am a first timer and want something fairly easy to work with so the BM5000 may be what I am after.

Better than sky/openboxes.

You can download the EPG direct to the box, and also channel lists so no messing trying to find new lists and loading with USB.

Easy to set up, there is a tutorial here

Cloud Ibox is probably a bit better in terms of EPG but is harder to set up.

The BM5000s doesn't come without its frustrations though. Although its a nifty wee box, it will have you pulling your hair out from time to time.
EPG not downloading correctly, time out of sync, clumsy channel configuration... that said, there are a lot of good people on this forum who can talk you through some of your issues.

if you are in a virgin media cable area i would go for a combo box. more options are open to you and hd is availible on virgin. have had many different boxes and would always recommend a box with linux software. as you get into it you will appreciate being able to use different images etc caa be used with enigma 2 boxes.

I would go with Amiko mini combo hd box as it can do both sat and cable. It is not that expensive and it occupies very less space (ladies will be happy as well :) ).

Back