Help with a little plumbing job...

ste

TK Veteran
My brother is having a bit of trouble with his toilet pan - water is slowly seeping through into it and I think it's the rubber at the bottom of the valve.... if that's what it's called anyway?

This is it - can someone confirm what this is actually called? syphon or a valve etc and does it just twist off to access the rubber to inspect / change it?

Tpm5quj.jpg

These new valves in cisterns have a rubber at the bottom of the valve - when you push the button to flush it, the valve opens to let the water into the pan then the valve closes back up - there's a rubber seal at the bottom of the valve which is actually inside the cistern so if this perishes, it will let water seep through into the pan which is what's happening... it's not the seal at the bottom of the actual cistern where it goes through the hole if that's what you were thinking. There's nothing going through the overflow.

These new valves in cisterns have a rubber at the bottom of the valve - when you push the button to flush it, the valve opens to let the water into the pan then the valve closes back up - there's a rubber seal at the bottom of the valve which is actually inside the cistern so if this perishes, it will let water seep through into the pan which is what's happening... it's not the seal at the bottom of the actual cistern where it goes through the hole if that's what you were thinking. There's nothing going through the overflow.
have you took the lid off,
watched whats happening?
its very common for the incoming seal to perish, thus let water continually in and over the overflow.
if it is the bottom seal, its still not a massive job

if it is the bottom washer,
not a massive issue to fix,
but you need to take it out to measure it, unless you have a load of spares,

the overflow is internal,
it will overflow into the pan

Yes, I know the overflow is internal - I've had the top of the cistern off and watched what is happening - the water is seeping through that rubber at the bottom of the flush valve and going back into the pan. Definitely not the internal overflow as the water level is dropping below the overflow until it gets to the level needed to top back up again.

I know what you mean about the diaphragm in the water inlet - had to change a couple of them myself but it's not that, I can see what's happening... just wanted to know if it's easy enough to remove the whole valve to inspect that rubber at the bottom.

Yes, I know the overflow is internal - I've had the top of the cistern off and watched what is happening - the water is seeping through that rubber at the bottom of the flush valve and going back into the pan. Definitely not the internal overflow as the water level is dropping below the overflow until it gets to the level needed to top back up again.

ok, can you turn supply to toilet off. and see if it drops to zero? or close to, after flush there should still be maybe an inch or so of water in cistern.
if it doesnt drop further than required for refill then its the complete syphon that is leaking, and not simply the washer

I was / am 99% certain that it's that rubber so i'll inspect it when I remove the valve, hopefully simple enough to remove.

Not sure if access is easy for shutting supply off - I should imagine it will be, he sent me some pics... wonder if this screw thing is to shut water off.

9GCS46X.jpg

Back