Help with cable recording playback

Hi guys,

So basically after setting up my gigablue hd se+ box with cable and satellite I am having an ongoing issue with the playback of recordings.

I am currently running the latest vix Apollo skin downloaded from vix servers with the vix blue skin activated.

However, each time I try to playback a recording it leads to the box freezing with the blue orb (from the skin) continuously going in circles. Vix does not present a crash message however the box stays in an infinite loop until I power off from the back.

I know this can't be an issue with the hard drive being used as it is the same hard drive I used with my vu solo. Can someone please share a fix for this issue? Is is the box's fault or perhaps the vix image?

Thanks a lot in advance

If you ftp your box and locate the crash log, although you havnt got an on screen crash message it may still be saved in the logs. I have never had to check and never played with a gigablue box so if someone on here can say where the crash log is stored then maybe you can see what is causing it. Maybe look for a folder called logs and look around for a .txt folder called crash log or something similar and read what it says in the log (if anything)

I haven't had any recording problems with mine.

I had to mount then initalise my Hdd first though in the menu.

I have initialised the hard drive and mounted it. I don't know where the crash log is saved on gigablue. If someone can let me know where it's saved, I'd be happy to share it with u guys

Hi m8 have found if you use hd blue skin causes problems with the vix image a lot of people will say not but I have a quad and quad plus and both develop problems when I try and use hd blue skin.

if you want to use the hd blue skin I would switch to open ATV image 4.2 as works great with that skin on quad and quad plus.
I am using the hd blue on my quad and hd red on my quad plus.

also update your bootloader if you have the older version it will give you recording problems I installed the bootloader from vix downloads and works fine.

So i just navigated to/home/root/logs/ and there isnt any crash logs there so i'm assuming the box isn't crashing, just freezing?

---------- Post Merged at 03:56 PM ----------

Hi m8 have found if you use hd blue skin causes problems with the vix image a lot of people will say not but I have a quad and quad plus and both develop problems when I try and use hd blue skin.

if you want to use the hd blue skin I would switch to open ATV image 4.2 as works great with that skin on quad and quad plus.
I am using the hd blue on my quad and hd red on my quad plus.

also update your bootloader if you have the older version it will give you recording problems I installed the bootloader from vix downloads and works fine.

Thanks for that mate, I've never used open ATV before, haven't even heard of it till now, but I'll try installing that and let you know how it goes. Cheers buddy

I havnt got a gigablue but with any cloud boxes I have had, as woodward said, I also found the blue skin was a bit of a nightmare to use until I flashed openatv 4.2 which works perfectly now. There is a new version of openatv (4.3) but after trying it I downgraded it back to 4.2 as it wouldnt install any skin other than the default, maybe just teething problems so will try again with the next update

open atv image looks a bit bland when you install it. compared to vix and many others but once you have installed your skin and set it up how you want it I have found it to be the most stable image.

if you need any help just give me a shout.

4.3 is too unstable as it has not been officially released yet as it is still under test.

Last edited:
I've just removed the openblue skin which was supposedly causing the problem. Sadly, even after removing it and using the default night skin provided with vix, crashing still occurs. It's a shame because the box is less than a week old. I'm guessing it's not the skin which is causing the issue. I'm going to try format the hard drive once again and see if that makes any difference.

ok mate, i am tempted to do so. just wondering in order to install oscam and also other plugins does open atv have a built in downloads section?

I've just flashed to openatv 2 but seem to be stuck on the boot screen which says open atv. It's been like that for the past 15 minutes. Has something gone wrong or is first setup meant to take a while?

reboot the box is the only option it should take approx. 10 to 15 max I had same problem just reboot it should load correctly if not re-flash box

just to clarify what box have you the gigablue 800se plus. have you got the correct image for your box.

Last edited:
Well after hours on end of trying to get this to work, I'm still not having any luck and will therefore return the box. Eventually even after managing to install open ATV the problem in regards to recordings was even worse. Each time I tried to record it slowed the box down incredibly, making it impossible to zap through channels without waiting 25 seconds for the loop to disappear.

Then I reverted back to vix which again caused nothing but headaches. I couldn't playback recordings without having to restart the box and I also couldn't even use time shift without having to restart box.

Have to say, taking the plunge and buying this box was the first time I have bought anything other than VU boxes and have to say I am very disappointed. Having paid 160 for a box, you would think it would liv up to its expectations but unfortunately the box couldn't playback recordings neither could it handle time shift making it worthless.

I certainly would NOT recommend the Gigablue HD 800 se+

I even tried another hard drive, initialised and used but still the same problem persists.

go here and download the correct firmware (bottom of list), unzip to fat32 usb and load through rear usb port, make sure the installation has totally finished and see how you go. dont give in lol

how do you playback recordings?

Basically on vix, after a program has completed being recorded, I would press the recording list button to access the recordings list. After pressing to play, at around 3 seconds in the recording would freeze/act distorted and would not respond to any pause/rewind buttons. If you press stop, it would then freeze the box with the vix logo in the corner and no way to bypass without restarting the box from the back. It has nothing to do with the skin as it is the same issue on the default skin, I think its a problem with the box itself.

yes same as i do on the vu.when reflashing dont use restore settings,do all new setup.

yes I have done a new setup i've never restored, but the problem is with the gigablue box itself. it keeps making the vix system crash as well running very slow on the open atv image. Just feel like the box is not worth the hassle, will spend more and just buy the vuo duo 2 instead.

Back