HD51 4K Help with Windscribe VPN Installation

nilo73

Afternoon everyone,
I purchased windscribe VPN on a lifetime deal for what could literally turn out to be pennies if I live til I'm 103.... :(y): I've set it up on pop's Android box, but can't seem to fathom out how to install it on my HD51, running wooshbuild with vermin...:confused: I tried it through woosh's vpn plugin, but there's just the 4 to choose from and I've searched for guidance via this forum and tinternet, but haven't had much luck so far. My goal is to install KODI / IPTV alongside vermin and have the best of both worlds. I'd really appreciate any help and advice from those in the know.
Just throwing this additional one out there for your take on whether it's worth buying a 4k firestick at these black friday prices, just to keep it as a hardly used back up, if I'm successful in adding the vpn?

I believe that Windscribe is not compatible with enigma 2 boxes m8 ??
  • Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10
  • OS X 10.8 or later
  • Linux
  • iOS
  • Android...

E2 boxes are simply linux.

If windscribe support the openvpn protocol - and almost all do - then you can have it on your box.

Google openvpn + enigma2 for guides.

If you get stuck post here and we'll try to help

teddybloat / Ant101, thanks for your replies. I've had a look through that tutorial and have to admit I've had a hard time processing the instructions in order to be confident enough to attempt the install. I'm worried I'll corrupt my image or worse! In the meantime, I purchased a 4k firestick and set it up on that.

I prefer to put vpn on a separate router. The advantages are:
1) you don't have to mess with putting vpn on your E2 box, which can be a bit of a pain
2) you don't have to re-install when you need to flash an E2 update e.g.
3) you are no longer limited by the number of connected devices in your home, the vpn router counts as one
4) any of your myriad of devices can be on / off vpn without having to run any vpn client, you just need to pick the router
5) if your e2/linux/firetv box is not high-powered, running vpn on a router instead puts the cpn intensive encryption workload on another device
6) it allows you to do speedtest, leak-proof test etc. using your phone/pc - I have little faith in the accuracy of those tests running on e2 or under-powered linux/android boxes

It is not even expensive - if ~14mbps total up or down is adequate for your purpose, any one of the GL-AR300M routers (£16/£28 at Amazon, depending on whether you need an ethernet port) can run openvpn easily and well.

I am writing this via windscribe on the GL-AR300M16.

Hi Speedygonzal, I considered this option before, but was put off by the £200+ cost of the routers that were recommended. I've taken a look at the reviews and it seems like a great little unit if you factor in the cost over speed compromise. Does yours allow you to run a couple of devices simultaneously?

10mbps is generally considered adequate for a 1080p stream, or 2 720p streams. What I would suggest, is try it and see. Vpn speed depends on the quality of the signal (e.g. ping), for that reason you will find that you get higher vpn download speed at a box by putting a vpn router before, rather than after two powerline adapters.

If for whatever reason you find that one of these routers can only handle 1 stream, and that it is the bottleneck, it would only cost another £16/£28 to add another. You could make your routers use different wifi channels to minimise signal overcrowding.

Cheers.

I prefer to put vpn on a separate router. The advantages are:
1) you don't have to mess with putting vpn on your E2 box, which can be a bit of a pain
2) you don't have to re-install when you need to flash an E2 update e.g.
3) you are no longer limited by the number of connected devices in your home, the vpn router counts as one
4) any of your myriad of devices can be on / off vpn without having to run any vpn client, you just need to pick the router
5) if your e2/linux/firetv box is not high-powered, running vpn on a router instead puts the cpn intensive encryption workload on another device
6) it allows you to do speedtest, leak-proof test etc. using your phone/pc - I have little faith in the accuracy of those tests running on e2 or under-powered linux/android boxe

It is not even expensive - if ~14mbps total up or down is adequate for your purpose, any one of the GL-AR300M routers (£16/£28 at Amazon, depending on whether you need an ethernet port) can run openvpn easily and well.

I am writing this via windscribe on the GL-AR300M16.

Excellent advice Speedygonzal i took your advice and my windscribe VPN is working like a dream on the GL-AR300M and E2 box thanks for the advice.

Back