homeplug problems

salster

hi I have just got an openbox with a free gift, but here is my problem, when I connect Ethernet cable through homeplugs the box will not connect to internet, but when I connect e cable straight to the modem it works ok. the same homeplugs work with another box so they are ok. I cannot run a permanent cable to the box so I need to use homeplugs. help please.

I did power off, but do not know how to check line has a green tick. I assume it would have because if you replace home plug cable with direct cable it works. thanks cactikid

May be an obvious one but I use mine over WIFI and although that isnt the recommended way mine never lags or fails and that avoids the need for plugs. Other than that try resetting the plugs with router by holding down the button on each plug

strange thing is my homeplugs work on another box!, if you use the skybox wifi thingy do you have to change the settings on the box?. thanks

Yeah, there is a setting in the network menu you will need to change from wired to wireless

You are not running a homeplug off an extension lead are you ?

I am running homeplugs off ex lead, I have been running like that for months with another box and working ok, its when I pluged this box in to test it that the new box won,t connect. thanks

I have been told that catikid and I had been using it on the wall socket until one day I was out and the wife bought a new lamp and pluged the homeplug into an extension lead, my own box (amiko) has been working since then for months on a lead. I left it alone until I tested the new box and it won,t connect but when I reconnect the leads into my own box it works fine on the lead. strange indeed. thanks

unplug the light and check it in the socket,if its a double socket unplug other item also and recheck.

You have probably fell lucky that the box you have used works.

Normally they will work to some extent but give a very glitchy picture.

I would try what cactikid suggested and unplug the lamp and test direct from the socket

If it works you may need a "pass through" homeplug to run the box and lamp together if you only have a single socket.

Last edited:
schoolboy error ,you cant run homeplugs on extension leads only from wall socket.

That's a bit of a sweeping statement.

You can run Homeplugs on extension leads.

I have successfully used Homeplugs on extension leads at both ends without problems.

It depends on how your mains wiring is arranged & how long the wiring is, as to how good they will work on extension leads.

Yes, it's best to use them directly in the wall socket if possible, but that's not to say that they won't work at all on an extension lead.

good news the new box is now working on wifi with a skybox usb thingy, it also works with a set of different homeplugs but will still not work with my original home plugs that are working well with my own box. strange indeed? but hey its working so thanks for all the help guys. my next project is an old dreambox 500s which I have to learn how to set up and find a cam line for.

...my next project is an old dreambox 500s which I have to learn how to set up and find a cam line for.

Compared to your Openbox, you will find that the DM500 is vastly superior in all aspects (apart from lack of HD of course).

Try the latest Commando 15 image.

Back