Hotbird 13.0 E transponders with no signal using openbox s12

shevino7

Hi all,

I am a newbie so please feel free to tell me off if I am posting this in the wrong place.

I have the following problem:
A professional technician installed a 60cm dish fully dedicated to Hotbird 13.0 E and a quad LNB on my rooftop in London.
The LNB has 2 feeds and I have connected them to 2 Openbox s12 in my two rooms.

In March when it was installed despite a signal strength of about 90% the signal quality (SNR) was fluctuating in the mid 50% zone on the HD channels like the Italian sport and movie ones.
Despite this I have been able to watch all of the HD channels until last week.
Now despite attempting millions of blind scans certain transponders always give out the message FAIL and I get no signal if I add them manually.
Unsurprisingly these transponders largely correspond to the HD sport and movie channels, i.e. transponder 11996 V, which is a dvb-s2 8psk is totally dead.
All of the SD channels have always worked well and keep working well, with SNRs in the mid 70%.

It is also worth mentioning that with the other dish (standard S*Y UK) all live transponders work flawlessly giving me an SNR in the mid 70% for both HD and SD channels.

I am really stuck, I do not understand what the issue may be.
Is it the dish being too small? But then why mostly HD channels are missing whereas SD ones work well, plus 60cm for just Hotbird should be fine.
Is it to do with the Vertical vs Horiz polarization openbox issue? But then why no such problem on the s*y lnb, and also I miss some horizontal transponders as well.
Is it to do with the openbox tuner not being sensitive enough? But again, it works well with S*y Uk, although Astra does give a much stronger signal in the UK.
Why has it just started to happen? Have Italian channels changed transponder recently?

Any sort of help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance
Shevino

none of skyita pack transporder changed from last 2 months becauz i use same sat most time recently i just checked. dvbs2 8psk HD channels need stong signal quality over 60 at openbox with me on Dm800 HD it come snr 11.50 Ber 0.

problem must be in dish antenna or at LNB. first try change hotbird sat cabel possible that was damaged.

Last edited:
Thank you for this I will get a technician to come have a look. I have 2 independent cables running down from the LNB and going to 2 separate openbox s12. Both boxes behave the exact the same way, so I think the problem shouldn't be with the cable. Maybe the LNB has gone bad although I don't understand the technicalities of it :(. For instance I am unsure why the signal would have dropped so dramatically in such a short period of time, also the frequencies that dont work seem to be random (neither low range nor high range) so I dont think it could be a filtering issue.

Ok, quick update, it appears the issue was closely related to the weather. The grey cloud coated reflective sky was not deteriorating the hotbird signal a lot (but not the astra one for some reason). Now the HD channels are back on Hotbird, however despite CCCam descrambling all I get is a black screen. Signal strength and SNR is good. SD channels are also always good. What a mystery...

try install big dish my friend which will give you strong signal and channels clear in bad weather to.

channels are clear with you when weather is clean try adjust lnb or dish anteena possible you get strong signal on same dish if not then go for bigger dish anteena which clears channels in all kind of weather.

OK just found out that Sly IT is in fact fighting cardsharing. They are doing some pairing/mpeg 4 encoding so that all sly italia HD channels are going black

Back