How can I reset Tomato router?

catman65

Hi,
Can someone please advice me how to reset Tomato firmware router?
I flashed my Netgear R7000 router about a month ago, in order to be able to set client vpn service. I did this due to having problem viewing IPTV channels on my Mag box and was advised by the server owner to get a vpn service, but now he told me to turn it off and i don't know how to deactivate it or reset my router back to the original default setting.
Also i would like to know how to flash it back to Netgear firmware, if i can.

Many thanks

if you are able to login to the router tgere should be a option to import a config. did you take a backup of the old firmware?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

if you are able to login to the router tgere should be a option to import a config. did you take a backup of the old firmware?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
No, i did not back up the old firmware because i think i can download it from Netgear site

Go to the Netgear site and download the firmware for your model of router. Would like to think Netgear will also include or have some documentation showing you how to flash your model of router. as well.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/r7000.aspx#download
I have already downloaded it but i'm not sure about flashing it from Tomato to Netgear firmware, may be different from Netgear to Netgear. I have to do more search/reading before flashing it back.

As long as you have the correct firmware for your model then it will be fine. If its not, most of the time it will tell you its not the correct firmware.

I'm not familiar with Tomato but just looking at screen shots. Do you have a page with "VPN Server Configuration" ? There is a tick box that says "start with WAN". You could try unticking that and rebooting your router as this should stop the VPN starting.
As I say I'm only going off screen shots so you may have something different.

I'm not familiar with Tomato but just looking at screen shots. Do you have a page with "VPN Server Configuration" ? There is a tick box that says "start with WAN". You could try unticking that and rebooting your router as this should stop the VPN starting.
As I say I'm only going off screen shots so you may have something different.
I think you're right, if i just wanted to temporally disable the vpn just untick the WAN box, i have read it somewhere before. I made so many changes to the router and i'm now loosing track of what i did and just want a total reset. Thank you

Just found a video on youtube - Netgear r7000- Back from Tomato to Netgear genie, need a special file called R7000-back-to-ofw.trx.
1/ Administration > Configuration > Restore Default Configuration, select Erase all data in NVRAM memory (throrough)> ok
2/ Administration > Upgrade > load your file " r700-back-to-ofw.trx" >upgrade
After reboot the router will be in Netgear firmware.
http://tomato.groov.pl/download/K26ARM/120/R7000/

Last edited:
i have 2 netgears a nighthawk r8500 and a netgear r7000, both of these are on merlin, after trying all the software thats out there from tomato, ddwrt and the netgear ofw , in my honest opinion the merlin ones are the best,

now for that bad news, the netgears are known to brick, trust me iv bricked both these more than i can remember,done the 30,30,30 reset, the only way is get a usb lead and use putty to install firmware, its a pain in the neck
This may help as you need back to stock firmware

http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/asuswrt-merlin-on-netgear-r7000.71108/

links in there for merlin and back to stock

but unless you do lots of reading and expect it bricking, id stay on what you have

Like the post by Paulb, and I'd sure stay with "Tomato" ...I have it on a darknight and it's never let me down I admit..... but some one has mentioned that if your VPN is disabled then the VPN will not start.(correct!)...it should not be running if you have disabled it....:)

EDIT: start with WAN..(disabled)...missed that bit....

15_01_2018_17_14_01.jpg

you can check this in the "staus" tab....

15_01_2018_17_14_56.jpg

(did he supply you with all the keys etc. for the VPN?? just interested to know as it seems like a way out the way to go to get you up and running with a VPN) all your devices that are connected to the router would then be using the VPN and suffering speed/loss etc. (I made a post the other day on a small router that sits behind the device you want to use a VPN on and then your other devices can all still benefit from your normal speeds etc.)

15_01_2018_17_15_39.jpg

of course you can add exceptions to the rule if you want to exclude a device from using it....simple script you add and that device can be connecting to your normal IP via the WAN rather than the VPN...... for example when I had a vodafone sure signal...no point having me location in outer mongolia.........not gonna help my suresignal that was....lol so I excluded it

192.168.1.63 was my suresignal vodafone router....192.168.1.55 and 192.168.1.15 is a secret! :LOL:

16_01_2018_00_05_46.jpg

Last edited:
Back