HS.2 - Boot and Red Light Issue

Hi,

Posting on behalf of a friend who purchased a HS2 which came pre-installed with an image (OpenVix) and was good to go when he connected it all up.
Had no issues and was working fine. Being new to this he wanted to backup his image (and line), so was doing this to a USB in the front (he already had 32GB USB drive in back port which came with box). The image backup seemed to work fine (quite small), and then he attempted a further backup (full backup ??) - This stuck on step 18 out of 100 and was taking an age. As this was a backup he didn't think there would be an issue aborting this, and pressed the red button to cancel this. A message appeared on the screen - very quickly and the box rebooted.
Since then all he has is an led display that says "boot" and a red light
We have seen options around re-flashing, but these look like you need to press the power button front to get USB or Flash on the menu .. nothing happens when we press the front power on button, with or without a USB stick inserted

Any Help would be gratefully received !!

Thanks

got exactly same issue after i did an vix image upgrade from 3.2 as start screen said it was available , did it from image manager it downloaded (v4) it rebooted and now does nothing any help please, does not respond to usb containing image i originally flashed it with, have tried accessing it via ftp and i cant , guessing thats something to do with machine showing red light ?

Last edited:
if it ain't broke break it. that's my motto too.

Firstly you cannot software update vix images on these boxes as vix don't support zgemma, so you will be using a patched image.

seany it is not a case of pressing standby with any old usb. The usb has to have a backup image on. See the stickies of this section of the forum for premade backup images. All come with full instructions that you miust read and follow.
If your box came with a line/gift already installed you need to backup this up before you reflash. Hopefully you will still be able to access your box via ftp to do this.

Piccy, you need to reflash your box too. Backup your line, use a backup image from the stickies.

Hi Sorry it was the sucmnsee image 3.2 that was on machine which i presumed was vix as it says that in the menu , have tried reflashing the original version i downloaded but it doesnt change to flash, i did also notice the image on screen flickered a few times with colour issues before all this happened , although the display says boot the standby light is on (red) and will not respond to either usb or ftp connection attempts (i do have my line backed up luckily)

Last edited:
A few random things you can try.

turn your box off at the wall and hold the power button in for about 10 seconds. I read somewhere this clears the power. ???

I have also known people press random buttons on the remote when booting sometimes kicks it in.

You can also change the image to noflash instead of flash. In the backup image just rename the file flash to noflash. Then if it says usb on the display on booting up, you then have to press then stanby button once on your box.

Also try giving your usb port a good blow.

turn your box off at the wall and hold the power button in for about 10 seconds. I read somewhere this clears the power. ???

I have also known people press random buttons on the remote when booting sometimes kicks it in.

You can also change the image to noflash instead of flash. In the backup image just rename the file flash to noflash. Then if it says usb on the display on booting up, you then have to press then stanby button once on your box.

Kiddac,
in order

turn box off at wall etc --- tried that no difference
random button presses --- tried that no difference
image to no flash --- tried that no difference
usb port good blow ---- tried that no difference

so unplugged box from power and stumped off down stairs for some food , on return i decided to think about this and downloaded the complete latest v4 image from sucmnsee on this site, formatted a new usb stick and put files on it , put in box and powered it up , flash appeared (sigh of releif) and the latest version loaded (now just have to reverse all mods made to your skin again and reload line)

theory as to cause of issue
being from an electronics background would have expected light to go from red to green when booting appears it doesnt , so mistake 1, could the cause have been when letting it update the image through image manager did the 3.2 version go and get the 2S version and not the one relavent tio the H2S ? sucmnsee any thoughts ?????

what have i learnt from this , listen to others , dont jump to conclusion that box is faulty (despite being on my second on the first having locked in standby and had to be retuned ) and most importantly before trying to use a memory stick that had the original version you put on the box on it DOWNLOAD THE ONE FROM THIS SITE AGAIN AND REFORMAT THE USB MEMORY STICK !!!!! (even if you did not use it for recording after flashing the box originally)

thank you Kiddac for the advice offered and if this helps anyone then i have acheived something from all this messing around

you would be surprised of the amount of posts in the section of their named box,it is in every bodies interest to read up about their boxes to know what to do or not to do.it keeps you all safe and better viewing.

Shouldn't that be 'force' to 'noforce' kiddac?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Thanks very much for all the advice .. much appreciated .. In the end we have been able to get a new image on. We did a bit more research and lots of USB issues are reported, so we tried multiple USB sticks that had been low level formatted and as soon as it recognized one, we had the option to flash !! The zgemma box is certainly fussy .. but pleased we haven't bricked the box ..

Back