HTC Wildfire WI-FI Problems

j4v3d

VIP Member
Hi

My sister in law has a HTC Wildfire mobile phone, she use to connect to my router, i even connected it for her, and out of the blue the connection dropped. It was working fine though before hand.

I have a belkin wireless n1 router. security wpa/wpa-2 (something like that lol ) its even gone back for repair, they have put in new wireless part in the phone, it picks the wifi up, connect to it, insert password and then when obtaining ip address after that it just doesn't want to know.

im going to try making my connection dynamic and see what happens.

Could be that causing me problems.

thanks

UPDATE: Just disconnects and then goes back to Connecting and carries on.

Last edited:
have you tried reconnecting from scratch putting in the SSID manually and password? Can she connect to any other wifi or it is just yours that has a problem?
When you say it went back for repair did it go back to the shop or to HTC - sometimes when they do these repairs they "forget" to do all the resets. I had a similar problem with my E71 took it for repair and they couldnt repair it. I found on here a link to place where i Hard reset the handset and it worked!
so try and google hard reset code for that particular model,

have you tried reconnecting from scratch putting in the SSID manually and password? Can she connect to any other wifi or it is just yours that has a problem?
When you say it went back for repair did it go back to the shop or to HTC - sometimes when they do these repairs they "forget" to do all the resets. I had a similar problem with my E71 took it for repair and they couldnt repair it. I found on here a link to place where i Hard reset the handset and it worked!
so try and google hard reset code for that particular model,

i dont know what they did Linny, i click forget the network and then try re-connecting but still doesn't connect, im going to try connecting to 2 other wireless routers and see what the problem is, the compatibility mode on my router is g/b/n was working fine i think she updated the phone and after that the wireless was causing problems on her phone. Maybe that is the route of the problem. Anyway if it doesnt work i'll get in touch with the people who said they repaired the phone, they didnt even state on the letter what was fixed, i wont leave them this time, even though its not my phone lol

i'll look in to the reset code as well Linny as last resort, ive tried factory reset before but still doesnt fix it

i'll look in to the reset code as well Linny as last resort, ive tried factory reset before but still doesnt fix it
think they are 2 different things, as when i had probs with my E71 they did the factory reset ( inthe shop- pressed something like home and off) and all they did was delete everything on my phone. However doing the Hard reset did something totally different. Ivge had a quick google myself and come up with various sites and found this
Performing a factory reset (hard reset)

If you're passing your phone on to someone else or your phone has a persistent problem that cannot be solved, you can do a factory reset (also called a hard reset). This returns your phone to the state it was in before the first time you turned it on.
Note: Factory reset will not remove the data and files that are in your phone’s microSD card.
Factory reset is not a step to be taken lightly. It will permanently delete all your data and customized settings, and will also remove any applications you've downloaded and installed. Be sure to back up any data and files you want to keep before you do a factory reset.
Performing a factory reset via settings

The most convenient way to do a factory reset is via the phone settings.

1. From the Home screen, press MENU and then tap Settings.
2. Scroll down the screen and then tap Privacy > Factory data reset.
3. On the Factory data reset screen, tap Reset phone, and then tap Erase everything.

Performing a factory reset using phone buttons

If you cannot turn on your phone or access the phone settings, you can still perform a factory reset by using the buttons on the phone.

1. With the phone turned off, press and hold the VOLUME DOWN button, and then briefly press the POWER button.
2. Wait for the screen with the three Android images to appear, and then release the VOLUME DOWN button..
3. Press VOLUME DOWN to select CLEAR STORAGE, and then press POWER.
4. Press VOLUME UP to start the factory reset.
also typed in google and found this
Code:
http://androidforums.com/desire-support-troubleshooting/171871-wifi-not-working-after-2-2-update.html
posts are Sept 2010 but it may help!

Linny it was the update that wrecked the phone, brother has taken it back to them, dont even know what he has said to them, he aint technical, the new update on the phone has stopped the wifi from working at all, tried conneting it to another router but no luck at all. I dont know how to solve the problem myself as i aint in to HTC im an apple iphone guy :)

its under warranty so they can fix it for him.

Apparently they have fixed the phone. Bollocks they have! Wont connect to the router, when obtaining IP Address it goes to disconnect and carries on in a circle.

Going to try this on 2 other routers tomorrow, i know what the outcome is going to be, not connecting at all! Gosh these Android phones are truly rubbish! Ive done a hard/soft/ factory rest and naff all, not working at all for me :(

is there anyway i can downgrade from 2.2.1 to the android version before this? its since the phone was updated that is causing problems.

Last edited:
HERE will help you out,as with all flashing you do this on your own as your warranty will be void

i'll have a read of it first, going back to repair, this time im going to go and make sure they get the message that its a software fault. If they don't give me a replacement i will flash it myself.

UPDATE: it is working on 2 other routers, it tries obtaining IP address from my router then disconnects, why is this? ive done all security types, even without it and still does not connect.

Last edited:
Does it find your router as a connection point,are you entering the password correctly as the keyboard can be a bit finiky with that version of android

Does it find your router as a connection point,are you entering the password correctly as the keyboard can be a bit finiky with that version of android

yes sinno all details are entered correctly, someone just advised me to enter the phone mac address in to the allowed list on the router and see what happens.

UPDATE: tried mac address filtering on router and still having the same problem, should i throw the router out the window lol

Last edited:
mmm sounds like it does not like your router - strange! but if it works on other routers ok and settings are same maybe try changing settings on your router. settings on other routers are they WEP or WPA maybe the phone will only accept certain settings like the old nintendo DS - they could only go wireless on WEP not WPA

mmm sounds like it does not like your router - strange! but if it works on other routers ok and settings are same maybe try changing settings on your router. settings on other routers are they WEP or WPA maybe the phone will only accept certain settings like the old nintendo DS - they could only go wireless on WEP not WPA

already tried that Linny, tried it at my sister house, she has belkin n router with same encryption as my router, ive tried open connection with no password, wep. wpa and wpa-wpa2 this phone just does not like my router at all.

UPDATE: A new router sorted the problem, i went for Netgear N600 or something like that need to check again. So far so good, no problems at all.

Last edited:
Back