i'm spooked....have they detected my VM box?

Hi all, hoping you guys can pute at ease, so two VM engineers knocked on the door today, saying they noticed my phone line was not working (which it hasnt from day 1) luckily the misses turned them away and didnt come in and see my box.
My question is.....did they detect my phone wasnt working and geninely wanted to fix it? Or are they capable of detecting more and wanted a reason to enter the property?

they were conmen looking for victims to rob, Virgin wouldn't send anyone out to fix people's phones at random, if you'd been a pensioner, one would have kept you talking while the other one rifled through your valuables and robbed you blind, my advice is to phone the police and give them descriptions, the chances are they've already robbed someone in your neighbourhood already

Usually vm engineers wont turn up at anyones door unless its by appointment, could be these two men might have had something more sinister in mind than detecting your box, strange one, are you sure they were genuine vm engineers?

Could have been m8, they don't usually work in pairs, but if there is a known issue then i suppose they could be working in pairs, but then again....pabloescaban could be spot-on...[ as he`s got more to hide than us...pmsl ]

Well they turned up in VM van.....

In that case I'd ring Virgin and ask them what they're playing at, they have a code of practice they are supposed to follow.
They already know that there's hundreds of thousands of these boxes accessing their network, going around knocking on doors at random isn't going to have any effect

Randomly call v/m ask what the purpose of the call was regards too.

And please make an appointment next time you visit my home..

call virgin and check and see if there was any engineers scheduled to call to your house if not, it was a bunch of fraudsters tryna take you on mate...

advice if your worried if your using a linux box like a edison or zgemma go into host name and change it to playstation or xbox so when your online thats all they can see

Yep they where probably VM engineers.

I had a random knock on the door out the blue a while back, they said they had a bad connection along the line and needed to check my cables.

I was at work and not naming names but "somebody" let them in.

They tightened the connection to my router in one room and the connection feeding
the splitter to my miraclebox in the other room !!! :grin::grin::grin::grin:

They knocked on a few doors in my street, I guess they had a problem installation somewhere and were fault finding.

Nothing came of it.

The guys in the office at VM can see all the devices connected to your home network, as mentioned you could rename your box to Xbox etc.

But as you haven't done that already it's probably too late :grimacing::grimacing::grimacing:

Feeling paranoid ??

para.jpg

Last edited:
Yep they where probably VM engineers.

I had a random knock on the door out the blue a while back, they said they had a bad connection along the line and needed to check my connections.

I was at work and not naming names "somebody" let them in.

They tightened my connection to my router in one room and the connection feeding
the splitter to my miraclebox in the other room !!! :grin::grin::grin::grin:

They knocked on a few doors in my street, I guess they had a problem installation somewhere and were fault finding.

Nothing came of it.

The guys in the office at VM can see all the devices connected to your home network, as mentioned you could rename your box to Xbox etc.

Feeling paranoid ??

View attachment 32922
mines is renamed to 'ps4', they'll never catch me
4d7.png

Mines called YouView so im safe too lol .but don't forget to reboot box after changing the hostname.

May be paranoia but when my box was called zgemma my fibre internet (Sly) was slower.

Honest.....My "ps3" is the only thing connected.

Bees -if we all had that tinfoil hat, im sure we could all pick up Sly free of charge and wouldnt need to worry.

Honest.....My "ps3" is the only thing connected.

Bees -if we all had that tinfoil hat, im sure we could all pick up Sly free of charge and wouldnt need to worry.

No one's worried.
you've already been given the advice you need, so what did VM say when you called them?
what did the police say?

Last edited:
I wouldnt worry about it i know 2 vm engineers running VU boxes and thats where i initially found out about c/s etc and yes every now n then they do random visits when they trouble shooting issues in the area :(y):

Back