i'm spooked....have they detected my VM box?

Don't think VM engineers give a toss abt. what on unless there's a problem with your service - the only advice they would give is probably what's a better box than the one you are already using Lol.

mine's been renamed to 'Zgemma dodgybox channelnicker Branson is a puff'

I believe i'm safe

pmsl m8

but VM can see everything on your router cause they changed some settings on mine a while ago while i was on phone to them and he started asking what i had connected to the router.. he told me the devices i had connected :)

VM engineers can call on you without notice if they are fault finding in the area & suspect the issues is related to your connection, they can check at the dp cabinet for 'noise' on active feeds & identify the property (each feed in the dp cabinet has details of where it is connected). Common reasons for 'noise' on a feed are: faulty splitter, lose or open connection (internal feeds should be connected nice & tight or be capped when not in use).

VM tech department can connect to your router & see the devices connected by the name of the device or by an experienced tech who recognises the device such as a mobile phone but they ARE NOT permitted to dig any deeper into any connected devices as that would be an invasion of privacy, many users change the name of a device they don’t want to be identified via a network test.

Example: a Zgemmah2s when connected to your network will show as Zgemmah2s by default so changing its hostname to xbox will mean the tech doesn’t know your using a streaming device for TV.

If an Engineer at your door or an tech in an office suspects you are using a device for (illegal) streaming they have very little power to do anything other than ask you to disconnect the device so they can complete their tests.

advice if your worried if your using a linux box like a edison or zgemma go into host name and change it to playstation or xbox so when your online thats all they can see

Hmm didn't know about this, i have an edison and a vuduo2, how do i change their host names?

Easy to sort this-----
a] panic and worry yourself to an early grave
b] get rid of the offending item
c] don't give a crap--it's too late to worry now so enjoy your tv.

I prefer option [c] and do just that myself.
Reaper.

If VM can sweep the internal network for hostnames then changing the host name will do naff all, apart from not appear within a curious list of obvious hostnames. All of these Zgemma style boxes have unique MAC addresses assigned by the manufacturer and these don’t change. It will be very very easy to see what is broadcasting within a network and gather all MAC addresses, match MAC address to zgemma boxes and bingo. If VM were able to do this, I am sure they would have done so by now!

Has anyone else had the green light flashing on their vm hubs today, mine has been flashing all day, i rebooted twice and it stayed the same, zgemma box, dreambox and internet are all still ok though.

Back