IPTV and Internet

bees

VIP Member
Hi,

A friend of mine lives in a flat with no phone line to the building.

He is interested in IPTV so he obviously needs an internet connection.

Anybody done something similar, what is the best way to get him connected.

I can set up a box and sort out a subscription that's not a problem, it's the best way to get internet
at a decent enough speed to keep his stream steady that i'm after.

cheers

bees

AFAIK you need a phone line to get an internet connection to your home unless in a virmin area. You could always try one of the mobile internet connections but IPTV will eat through data at a ridiculous speed if using this constantly as the main tv viewing.

That probably didn't help but I hope it answered some of your questions

Yeah, I seem to be running into problems one way or another,
Get a WiFi dongle, speeds are slow and data is limited.
Or
Plenty of decent deals if you have a phone line.

No cable in his area.

He might have to see how much it is to have a phone line connected by BT.

What's a WiFi Ariel ? do they connect to a normal type router ?

the ones i have seen connect to the side of the house then have a long range to pick up say mcdonalds free wifi,the aerial goes back to a router

If this was me, I'd be looking at one of 2 options, neither of them particularly great.

I'd consider tethering my mobile connection. Obviously it'd need to be an unlimited data and high limit tethering account. Three mobile allow 30gb per month tethering on their Advanced plans of 100gb per month on their data only plans (slightly different to a mobile contract, more similar to mobile broadband). Those limits are obviously quite low depending on how much he'll be watching and if he wants HD. They are my provider and I'm not sure who else does what.

The other option to consider is 'Casting' his mobile device to the TV (chromecast device or generic equivalent). One of my IPTV providers has a web portal. If I load up a stream onto my mobile I can then cast my mobile screen to the TV. Essentially it just makes the mobile phone the remote control.

There is also mobile internet, but this tends to be more expensive than a mobile contract from what I've seen when I looked into this.

Of course he'd be best using Freeview for the majority of his TV viewing and just firing up IPTV when needed.

Looks like he is stuck with a connection charge, it's £30 for a new connection from BT if he takes
their £30 per month 50Gb package, or £140 for the connection if he uses somebody else
for his BB. 35Gb package is coming in a £20 so there probably isn't much difference over 12 months.

Think the 10Gb packages might be a bit slow for IPTV

I’m just moving to a new house and can only get bt broadband up to 10mbps, thinking of getting a mag box running IPTV. What would the stream be like?

I’m just moving to a new house and can only get bt broadband up to 10mbps, thinking of getting a mag box running IPTV. What would the stream be like?

You will struggle with FHD and HD. SD should be ok. Saying that, I know people who have ran HD on less than that, just not at peak times.

My mate had 10Gb and a Mag256, was pretty crap to be honest, constantly breaking up.

Same box and line at my house on about 50Gb was fine.

However, it's more about the actual download speed, his was about 8Mbps, mine was about 20 Mbps.

Run a speed test on your current package.

Last edited:
My mate had 10Gb and a Mag256, was pretty crap to be honest, constantly breaking up.

However, it's more about the actual download speed, his was about 8Mbps, mine was about 20 Mbps.

Run a speed test on what your current package.
Hi ,If you know anyone on bt ask if you can share there details to connect free to a wireless bt hotspot or bt with fon. If you can its unlimited data but speed may be an issue. I do this when in my caravan but use an external ant. for better reception. Connect with a laptop and use as a hotspot. Its free to try and might work.

Run a speed test on your current package.

ideally 15-20MB/s PLUS.

Most suppliers if you show intrest will provide a line cheap. Plusnet who run in BT lines i know will do free install and all there plans are unlimited

Thanks, I didn't realise other suppliers could supply the line too.
Thought it was only a BT job.

He has a line to the building from the street but no master socket inside his flat, so it's a new line.

I wanted to upgrade my talktalk to fibre,
TT wanted 170£ and 18month contract,
plusnet wanted 30£ and 12month contract
to upgrade line,
TT went down to 50£ and 18month contract, I told them to disconnect it and I'd go to plusnet,
TT upgraded it for free and 12month contract

oh, and both were using Openreach for the works, thats the only people that can actually put the line in.

I bought a Samsung TV MU6100 model I installed my smartiptv app and I did all correct procedure when installing the list, all channels appear but when I click to watch it only loads the channel and after about 30 seconds of the connection failure, and it loads and appears same thing. You could give me some advice or a similar solution. Thank you in advance.

Hi,

A friend of mine lives in a flat with no phone line to the building.

He is interested in IPTV so he obviously needs an internet connection.

Anybody done something similar, what is the best way to get him connected.

I can set up a box and sort out a subscription that's not a problem, it's the best way to get internet
at a decent enough speed to keep his stream steady that i'm after.

cheers

bees
What area does he live in (rough location)

Back