iptv vs vod?

userlee5267

TK Veteran
right i have some problems.

my android box tx3 mini will play vod all day long, but live tv is crap.

i have tried numerous providers now and im getting bored and considering sky back.

all providers seem to jump or are very sketchy on live tv for me, im getting 35mb to the box through home plugs. vod all the 1080p streams pley fine.

sd channels are bodering on hardly watchable and full hd are a no go.

i have tried 5 providers now. vod is ace and live tv crap. i have tried £120 a year subs and £20 a year subs and all the same

is live tv more demanding compared to vod?

i get invalid format and quitting and glitching on live tv that much is unbareable?

i have got 1000s of errors stored on my vodafone router fcc errors etc. not sure what they are, bit still vod plays ok. watched tonight 4 films and not a glitch in sight

Have you tried any of your subs on another device like a laptop? At least that way you can rule out whether it is the box you are using or the sub?

IPTV is different to VOD. IPTV is being streamed as it is happening, so obviously has a lot more information to code, where VOD is just like watching a film direct from a hard drive. I'm sure someone can explain it in a more technical way, but that's how I understand it.

I know what you mean about going back to Sky, that's what I did and I just use IPTV for sport now, I was sick of hearing the wife and kids moaning. I now use IPTV for sport and Plex for VOD and Sky for everything else.

Apart from that have you tried all the usual stuff, reboot router etc. I notice you are using homeplugs, is it any better if you wire the box direct from the router?

Have you tried any of your subs on another device like a laptop? At least that way you can rule out whether it is the box you are using or the sub?

IPTV is different to VOD. IPTV is being streamed as it is happening, so obviously has a lot more information to code, where VOD is just like watching a film direct from a hard drive. I'm sure someone can explain it in a more technical way, but that's how I understand it.

I know what you mean about going back to Sky, that's what I did and I just use IPTV for sport now, I was sick of hearing the wife and kids moaning. I now use IPTV for sport and Plex for VOD and Sky for everything else.

Apart from that have you tried all the usual stuff, reboot router etc. I notice you are using homeplugs, is it any better if you wire the box direct from the router?
I agree with everything you have said. IPTV is great if you have a good sub and I am fortunate to have two (not an advert). Having said that in the last couple of years I can say as a family we have watched very few live tv channels other than sport. We have watched an occasional documentary, news from USA when there has been an incident over there, laughed at the Asian version of X factor for about 10 minutes but thats about it. Mine doesnt glitch or buffer on what I will call none sport tv. I have never watched a film on Sly but I use vod all the time, its great. I have iptv for sport and it has been a 'Gods Send', I have watched up to a dozen matches in a week, from 3pm's to Champions League. Thats not to mention tennis, rugby, ufc and last but not least PPV events. In short I have had excellent value in respect of what I want to watch.
We have the most basic Sly package which gives my wife everything she wants including the user friendly sly box with series link and catch up. I know we could record and get catch up for free but its all about personal preference and being very, very user friendly.
So, to close iptv is great, just be patient there are good suppliers out there. IPTV is not an exact science, there are so many different variables which can cause problems other than the supplier, i.e connection, hardware, isp, etc. When you turn it on and you instantly get the right channel in good quality, glitch and buffer free its worth it but you have to be patient and slowly eliminate the problems. Even when (although rarely) my suppliers have had problems I have always found a working channel somewhere before kick off.

Last edited:
Back