Irish version of Google's Street View launched

noelyf

VIP Member
1.jpg

Street View

Government has high hopes for the service

Thursday, 30 September 2010

Ireland has become the 25th country to launch Google's Street View service.

The Minister for Tourism today said she hoped the service could help attract more visitors to the country.

Google's camera vehicles have been collecting imagery from some 51,000 miles of road for the last two years.

Users will be able to virtually explore the country - visiting popular tourist attractions or finding their way around a city - from their own homes.

The programme contains imagery that is already visible from public roads and photographs are taken at a point in time and are not live images.

The Government has high hopes for the service and anticipates that it could help attract some 8m visitors to the country.

Launching Street View in Ireland, Minister for Tourism Mary Hanafin said: 'Street View is an example of a practical innovation which makes life easier for people using the Internet to locate and research Ireland's cities, towns and streets.

'Its applications are many but one of the real benefits for Ireland is from a tourism perspective.

'Street View will showcase the real beauty of Ireland's towns and countryside to millions of internet users around the world and has the potential to deliver a welcome boost to visitor numbers to Ireland.
'With many benefits for businesses, property sellers and the general public the introduction of Street View for Ireland is welcome news.'

Street View Ireland is currently available on maps.google.com and will become available at maps.google.ie by tomorrow evening.

Members of the public seeking to have their home removed from Street View can email: europe@google.com

if there is a bus coming down blessington street, it is me cos i was driving down when the car with the stupid cameras was coming up from parnell square

yup, but i have just looked and i am not there, the bus coming down is taken from a sattelite, not the car

remember the little girl on google maps lying face down, everyone got scared that there was a dead body on their street and they never knew about, truth was, she was playing (fooling around)

yh google maps/earth is great. I had to find an address the other week so googled the postcode and followed the street map via photos to the house, When i did it by road it made life so much easier as there were no road signs but i remembered what the road looked like and looked out for landmarks. Its fantastic technology.

IF you have never looked anything up look up on google satellit/streetview/earth this postcode DA1 1ED - its the theatre where i work

Noel I have been having great craic with this lol

And wheelo no had a look can't find you on blessington street LOL

question is, do you want to find your sis? lol

Why would'nt Ally want to find his sis :eyebrow:

Back