Is The Edision OS Mega the right one for me?

Seems to be more apparent on latest kernels. Mega is using 4.10 kernel. I'm reporting to Edision.

Really? I am a little surprised, because I have been in communication with Willo3092, since he has the machine, and he very kindly showed me a screen dump of his OpenWebIf BoxInfo page, which shows that his has exactly the same Linux kernel as mine, and that he is on 5.0.002 (which I did try and found having the space loss problem), yet Willo3092 thinks he does not have the problem.

My conclusion from that, since many of us use his build and have the same problem, is that his machine is clearly much older than mine hardware-wise and low level firmware-wise, so chance is that those are determinants.

Of course there is also a very small possibility that while Willo did not have the problem, now he has, but he has yet to find out!

Cheers!

For your info I have the Edison OS-Mega and my Kernel is 4.10.0 20170220 and I don't have this prolem

That is great! It might well help us narrow down the true source of the issue, because you and I have exactly the same kernel. So it has nothing to do with the kernel as I expected.

If you don't mind me asking, how old is your machine, which Vix(if it's Vix) version, and do you happen to use Willobuild and if so what vintage (can be seen in the date of the files in his image zip file)?

Cheers!

That is great! It might well help us narrow down the true source of the issue, because you and I have exactly the same kernel. So it has nothing to do with the kernel as I expected.

If you don't mind me asking, how old is your machine, which Vix(if it's Vix) version, and do you happen to use Willobuild and if so what vintage (can be seen in the date of the files in his image zip file)?

Cheers!

I bought mine 20/01/17 my vix is 5.0003 and yes I am using Willos build. Not sure what you mean about vintage of the date of the files but is it the date when the image was created which is 08/03/17

I bought mine 20/01/17 my vix is 5.0003 and yes I am using Willos build. Not sure what you mean about vintage of the date of the files but is it the date when the image was created which is 08/03/17

Thankyou!

Your answers indicates that the vintage of the machine (and therefore likely hardware/firmware that came with it) is the determinant, because your Vix and Willobuild are more up to date than what I have tested, and we have exactly the same kernel.

Willo's machine last night had Vix 5.0.002 which I did try with no difference, and the same Kernel 4.10.0 / 20170220 that you and I have.

Cheers!

Just for completeness and for anybody with this box who has not been watching the support thread at the other website, "the boss" there has indicated that:

"ALL OS Mega in the public domain right now are ALL from same manufacturing batch",

which suggests all these boxes should be suffering this free space loss issue to some degree, if they are on any recent OpenVix/OpenATV, and the latest news is promising:

"A fix for this issue is in the process of being tested. Cause has been found. Will be in next release build."

Cheers!

Latest news:

"The issue we had that was resulting excessive HDD space being used during recording we hope has been resolved. The issue was most apparent on Edision OS Mega, but during some tests was found on a number of other boxes.

We recommend that OS Mega users re-initialise their HDD once OpenViX build 5.0.004 is released. Menu > Setup > System > Storage Devices > Select your HDD and initialise it. NOTE ANY RECORDINGS YOU HAVE WILL BE LOST.

Other users can re-initialise if they have the need, issue was not as bad or apparent on other boxes.

Note same issue was found in OpenATV, but NOT OpenPLi. The issue was an E2 issue, not hardware or drivers".

Back