It is possible to split virgin media signal

qasim02

Hey guys

I'm thinking of buying a zgemma h5 box but still want to keep my tito box as I perfer recording on there. I was wondering can I split the signal where lead meets tivo box. So I would still only have 1 tito bix but second going to the zgemma

In the past I've had live vm lines just lying around without a box connected virgin disabled my services saying I and loose signal which is effecting my neighbours. They came down and put like a plug on the loose cables then reopened me. If I connect my cables to the zgemma with the splitter will there be loose signal as it's not a official box and also using splitter.

You can buy a small cap that has a resistor built into it, this stops the noise on the system that the engineers are talking about.
If you do a search on a well known auction site I'm sure you will find what you need. ;-)

You can buy a small cap that has a resistor built into it, this stops the noise on the system that the engineers are talking about.
If you do a search on a well known auction site I'm sure you will find what you need. ;-)

That's the Cab I think Virgin Media gave me before opening my signal again. If I'm correct that Cab is only used for unused cables. What I'm asking will I need this sort of thing for cables which are being used if I have a splitter and zgemma box

Last edited:
No the cap is only used on spare cables for unused ports on splitters.
To use an aftermarket cable receiver, you just plug it in, connect up your VM cable and scan for Channels at your location (set net ID)
You will only receive a few SD channels.
Should you wish to watch the paid Channels you will have to use a pay server.

Thanks I think I get it so I should not have any noise as long as cables are connected to one device or another

i swapped a 2 way splitter for a 3 way splitter 2 years ago and everything runs fine, no loss of signal (1 to tivo, 1 to internet and 1 to technomate)

Thx mate one other thing my friends zgemma creates alot of lag when recording or playing after a few mins pause. He tells me this is cuz his usb is a slow low quality device. Is that accurate, I ask as if that's a general issue the box isn't suitable for me

Could be a number of things, fake usb stick, incorrect set up of image/storage devices.
If your going to need to record a channel and watch another channel on a regular basis then maybe look at other receivers.

What would you say is the best box for me? Ideally I want hd channels, perfect sky skin and sky guide, record a channel and ability to watch a different one. BTW thanks for all your help

They update on my issue. I've split the signal between my tivo and my new zgemma h5. Tivo is running perfectly but h5 is unstable now. Is this normal and is there anyway to sort it

---------- Post Merged at 07:46 PM ----------

I think it's the splitter or the cables that go with the splitter as if I mess with them the quality gets better or worse.

Sorry to raise an old thread...

I am in a similar position. i have VM router and a zgemma set up and working perfectly. But i am in need of installing another zgemma. i already have the cable split at the brown junction box outside the house (2 way splitter)

In the past, when i have tried to split the internal cable the signal has struggled hence why i opted to split it externally. I used a 1 - 1000 splitter iirc

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated

Use a 3 way splitter outside or a
Virgin media signal booster HDU-400

Only split the feed once for best results :(y):

Back