Jailed for selling sly packges

they where going a bit further than just offering cs or IPTV, rebranding the feeds by editing the streams so their own logo appeared instead of the official broadcaster etc. and as @chets says selling to commercial premisis like pubs and clubs is just asking for trouble

This is your top tier of broadcasting piracy and from a legal standpoint would be extremely difficult to mitigate. I didnt notice in the article but I would imagine there was a massive proceeds of crime confiscation order on top of the 4 yrs 6 mths sentence (will serve 2 yrs 3 mths).
Only speculation but I dont believe such a draconian sentence would be given out, if providing the service to JoeSoap domestic users. Main reason, there are possible areas for mitigation and perhaps most importantly the 'Big Boys' such as Sly dont want to appear as 'bullies' taking the 'little man' to Court for providing a service almost in a 'Robin Hood' scenario. Its a no win situation for them as it turns public opinion against them. They, I am sure would be far happier to shut the operation down and just get publicity from the activities of people such as those in the above article.
I have some experience of large companies (not Sly or Vergin!) and I can tell you they are paranoid about public opinion and its possible impact on their shareholders.

and to add the others that advertise of fully loaded boxes with an address or phone number to use?

Some pubs openly advertise that they show the 3pm Saturday Premier League kick offs... that's just asking for trouble and anyone who provides them with CS or IPTV needs their head seeing to.

Back