Katie Taylor wins Olympic gold medal

Status
Not open for further replies.

noelyf

VIP Member
Thursday, 9 August 2012

Katie Taylor has beaten Russia's Sofya Ochigava and won Olympic gold for Ireland.

• 00063f90-640.jpg

Katie Taylor has won Ireland's first gold medal of the London Olympics
  • 00063eb5-640.jpg

Katie Taylor has already won four world titles in her weight division
  • 00063f84-640.jpg

Crowds gathered in Bray to watch Katie Taylor's fight

Katie Taylor has beaten Russia's Sofya Ochigava 10-8 and won Olympic gold for Ireland.

The 26-year-old from Bray, Co Wicklow, came from behind to win the female boxing lightweight final at the ExCeL Arena in London.

The fight was tied at 2-2 after the first round, and Taylor trailed 4-3 after the second.

However, she went on to win the third round 4-2 to lead 7-5, and held on for the win.

It is the first Olympic Games in which women competed inside the boxing ring and her fight attracted intense national and international attention.

Many work-places around the country closed early for the bout which began shortly before 5pm.

Big screens have been in place at her home town where thousands of fans watched her box her way to victory and a gold medal.

Taylor won the last fight between them in the World Championship final in China in May.

The four-time world champion secured her place in the final with a 17-9 victory over Mavzuna Chorieva of Tajikistan in yesterday’s semi-final.

Large crowds gathered in Taylor’s home town Bray to watch the fight on big screens.

Last night, Paddy Barnes secured Ireland's fifth medal of the Olympics when he beat India's Devendro Singh Laishram 23-18.

He will face Zou Shiming from China in the semi-final tomorrow. Zou beat Barnes at the same stage in Beijing in 2008.

Barnes, from the Holy Family club in Belfast, becomes the first Irish man to win medals at two consecutive Olympics since Dr Pat O’Callaghan in 1928 and 1932.

John Joe Nevin and Michael Conlan will also fight for a place in the final of their respective weight divisions tomorrow.

Last edited:
Awww Delighted Noel, sitting here roaring at the TV and singing OLE OLE OLE...................... lol

well done and well deserved Katie, You did us Proud, always proud to be IRISH irelandflag

What a day,fantastic Golden win for Katie
Words can’t describe my pride in Katie Taylor
Absolutely brilliant.
And what about the performance
From all our irish crowd singing
Amhrán na bhFiann

Brilliant.Good luck to the rest of our Olympians

Have to say Noely,did not know much about Katie
Until I joined TechKings,and your boxing links (y)
:happy: :happy: :happy:

She did well sticking to her game plan, never panicking. it probably wasn't her best performance technically, but she did enough by coming up with a game plan to beat her opponent, then sticking to it until the end(y)

C'MON IRELAND

Well done Katie well deserved you done yourself and ur country proud.

I enjoyed the fight and to hear the irish support in london was somthing to behold.

Absolutely Awsome

I'm not a big sports guy as such, but boxing is the one area I do know a bit about and I was genuinely worried for Katie in that bout. It did indeed prove to be a tough one for her, but nobody can fault her game plan along with her steadfast steel constructed determination to keep calm & fight her way back to take the gold.

Despite her sporting achievements (and there were sooooo many) the person that is Katie, is pure gold (y)

i can still hear the sound of the Irish enjoying the booze!

What sort of racist nonsense is this??? Oh we're Irish, so we must be pi$$heads?? Cop on to yourself, stereotyping people like this is just a load of sh1t. Haven't you seen the trouble that Rio Ferdinand has got into for putting racist nonsense on the web?? And you, from a minority grouping in the UK, you should be ashamed of yourself.
Even though you are not alone, does not make it any less
Code:
http://thedailyedge.thejournal.ie/drunken-irish-newspaper-australia-548842-Aug2012/

What sort of racist nonsense is this??? Oh we're Irish, so we must be pi$$heads?? Cop on to yourself, stereotyping people like this is just a load of sh1t. Haven't you seen the trouble that Rio Ferdinand has got into for putting racist nonsense on the web?? And you, from a minority grouping in the UK, you should be ashamed of yourself.
Even though you are not alone, does not make it any less
Code:
http://thedailyedge.thejournal.ie/drunken-irish-newspaper-australia-548842-Aug2012/

It was not meant to be racist - I aint a racist person - Just Irish people enjoy their booze and celebrate well. How is that Racist? If i was going to be racist i would be straight up about it and make a racist remark but no i aint like that. If that caused any offence then i do apologise.

i meant is the Irish love their booze when it comes to celebrating

You have just repeated the racial stereotyping Javed, that is just like saying all Jews are mean, or all Middle Eastern Muslims Hate America, white people are all racist, All hispanics in America are illegal aliens, Etc, Etc, Etc.
Ask your parents about the stereotypes that were used against them or their parents when they came to the UK first. (All these people Stink, was at least one that was thrown at them).
Racial stereotypes lead to discrimination, many have been used against Irish people - they are drunks(cant remember when I last heard that one used?), they are always fighting, they are all terrorists (one which you might be aquainted with in recent years, given 9/11, 7/7, etc).
In London in the 70's, a regular sign on guest-house windows was "No Dogs, no blacks and no Irish"
Have a read of the article that I linked, and see what the world at large thinks of the crap written in the aussie paper.

Just for your information, the bout was at 16:45, when most people were working, those who were lucky enough to be able to gather in Bray(katies home town, and pictured above) were families having one of the few sunny days out that they were able to have before the kids go back to school.

FROM WIKIPEDIA PAGE "Anti-Irish sentiment"

21st century

In 2012, The Irish Times did a report on anti-Irish prejudice in Britain.[19]
In the run-up to the 2012 Olympics, the British athlete Daly Thompson made an anti-Irish statement on live television. When Thompson was shown an image of a torch runner with the words "Oylmpic torch bearer", tattooed on her arm, he asserted that the person responsible for the misspelling must have been Irish. The BBC subsequently issued an apology.[20] An Australian newspaper group, Fairfax Media, issued an apology on 8 August 2012, for an article, originally titled “Punch Drunk: Ireland intoxicated as Taylor swings towards boxing gold” which had been published on The Age, Sydney Morning Herald and the Brisbane Times websites that morning. The article in question claimed that Taylor was not “what you’d expect in a fighting Irishwoman, nor is she surrounded by people who’d prefer a punch to a potato”. The journalist who wrote the piece also apologised for “indulging racial sterotypes”.[21] Another article published on 8 August by Jon Saraceno in USA TODAY was amended to omit comments depicting intoxicated Irish fans celebrating Katie Taylor’s success: “Back home on the emerald-green isle, pints of Guinness flowed freely, perhaps enough to replenish the Irish Sea. The 'punters' inside betting parlors wagered pounds as if they were bits of candy”.[22][21] The international sports network ESPN issued an apology on 9 August 2012 after one of its presenters, Russell Barwick, asserted that athletes from Ireland should compete for the British Olympic team saying “It’s like an Hawaiian surfer not surfing for the USA,” he said. “It’s not like Tasmanians say they don’t want to represent Australia”. When fellow-presenter Mark Chapman tried to explain that the Republic of Ireland was actually a different country, Barwick remarked: “It’s nothing but an Irish joke”.[23][24]

Ethnic stereotype
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

An ethnic stereotype is a generalized representation of an ethnic group, composed of what are thought to be typical characteristics of members of the group.
Ethnic stereotypes are commonly portrayed in ethnic jokes, most of which usually considered to be offensive in various degrees.

Oh, by the way, I fully accept you may not have meant what you said in the way I picked it up, but that doesn't make it any less racist/discriminatory/ Offensive.

Last edited:
i didnt mean it in a racist way - i aint no racist so my conscience is clear. I've apologized so that's the end of the matter now. Not willing to get in a long debate over it. Point taken and noted.

I've apologized so that's the end of the matter now.

If your original remarks were open to offensive interpretation by some members? maybe the editing\re-phrasing of those original statements might be a more proactive method of avoiding the escalation of this topic any further?

It would not be normal for any one side of a debate to decide themselves that
Originally Posted by j4v3d

that's the end of the matter now

All members here are entitled to their respective opinions, that said, they must be within the rule guidelines laid out by Techkings. Aside from rules and regulations it would be an expected courtesy of all members to be respectful of each other at all times.

I will not allow this thread to be turned into a tit for tat fiasco but I will leave it open for now so as any of the participants wishing to apply any edits may do so.

-

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back