Kennel cough

makido

VIP Member
I do apologize if this is a really daft question but I just dont know and figured this could just be the best place to ask, as you lot just about know everything :)

Ive been on holiday for 2 weeks and put my 2 dogs in the kennels. Picked them up yesterday morning. Once home one of the dog started coughing/like something was stuck in her throat.
At first I just thought it was down to her getting all giddy and running round like a nutter, but she keeps doing it. (its not constant but happening alot)
Ive had a quick google and she as no other symptoms, runny nose, no energy, no loss of appetite, she will still do anything for a biscuit.
Im not sure what it is, Ive never dealt with kennel cough, if thats what it is.
I am a bit reluctant at taking her to the vets, as they charge just what the hell they want, and we will pay it cos we havent got much choice.
Dont get me wrong if she needs a vet then she will be booked in as soon as. Just wondered if anyone had any input
Thanks guys

it's not kennel cough as they have a runny nose and a mild temp, get a electronic thermometer from Asda (about £3) and stick it up her arse for two minutes, (it only goes in an inch!!) and it will beep when it's ready.

normal temp is 38.3 - 39.2
if it's over 40 she could have kennel cough

check to see if something is stuck in her throat, it could be a piece of fish bone or chicken bone, but also check under her tongue as I've known dogs to swallow string / elastic bands etc only to have them wrapped around the tongue so that they can't swallow them completely. Use a torch.

These are just looking for obvious problems, as stuss said, take her to the vet if you don't find anything obvious you can pull out or if her temp deviates much from the above, by much I mean a degree and half, that's a lot.

I keep checking in her mouth cant see anything obvious. Have a mate coming with a thermometer, as I only have one of the other kind. I dont think she would like me to much if I used that, so we will see what that brings.
I might be way off the mark with kennel cough I just dont know. Shes happy enough still bouncing about, so shes not hurting.
Thanks guys will keep you updated.

She not in any discomfort.
Kennel cough is more continuous and more like honking and sneezing and also contageous so if it is that, your other pooch may start with it.

Can't see her temp being raised if she's lively and perky, and if her temp isn't raised, she prob needs see vet but I wouldn't rush, leave her for a day or two to see if it clears up, then if the same, take her for a quick check up

Just done her temp its at 38.7 so going on what you posted above that is perfectly normal. The other dog that was in the kennels is fine as of yet.
But that is the worry I have an older dog as well hes 11, can I really risk him catching it (if it is) I didnt put him the kennels as he is blind, hes been blind from the age of 2. I took him to the vets and there was sack all they could do, so the vets dont fill me with confidence at all.
Will ring the kennels tomorrow as well, just to find out how long shes had it etc, cos they must of noticed they never said owt when I picked them up tho. Depending on whats said there, she could very well be on her way to the vets

kennel cough is very rarely serious so I wouldn't worry about it too much, just keep your eye on the other dogs and find a better vet.

Have you any amoxicillin tablets about the house or has anyone you know?
if you have crush 3 up and mix it into the dogs food once a day for a week
will sort it mate I race pigeons there very hard to keep healthy and if I was to go to a vet everytime one of them got sick id be skint lol so had to learn a bit about antibiotics and treatments this is a great site for treatments http://www.mercasystems.com/
this is great to have for anyone with pets zoopan enroxina 100ml hope this helps mate

Have you any amoxicillin tablets about the house or has anyone you know?
if you have crush 3 up and mix it into the dogs food once a day for a week
will sort it mate I race pigeons there very hard to keep healthy and if I was to go to a vet everytime one of them got sick id be skint lol so had to learn a bit about antibiotics and treatments this is a great site for treatments http://www.mercasystems.com/
this is great to have for anyone with pets zoopan enroxina 100ml hope this helps mate

this is completely false information for dogs.

I was prescribed 500mg amoxicillin for a fairly bad infection and took two a day.
I weigh 100 kg
that makes it 0.001mg of medicine per kilo
my dog weighs 14.5 kg and you suggest giving her three of the same tablets? - 1500mg for her would be the equivalent of me taking over ten times the same amount, 20 tablets per day

it goes on body weight, a child's dose isn't the same as an adults dose and a hamster's dose isn't the same as a guinea pigs dose

you didn't say 500mgs, but amox are usually prescribed in 500 or 250mgs

3 of either of these would be way too high for even a large dog

the website you mentioned above has anti-b for birds but the dosages are absolutely tiny, 1500mg in 2 litres of water over 5 days that would probabaly treat how many 400g birds?

anything over 20 birds and 2 litres of water wouldn't last a day mate 20 birds would not weight as much as a small dog I had dogs all my life and ive treated them the way I said with no side effects at all.
I was only trying to help the guy but sure you seem to have that covered ill leave you to it good luck mate.

it's all over the internet mate, the dosage for dogs is 5-10mg per pound, so if you say mid way? 7.5mg yes

the normal dose for humans is 500 but i agree there are 250's around, so three of these are 750mg - enough for a 100 lb dog... a dobermann or irish wolfhound yeah no probs, but a springer? - what about the terriers? yorkies? these are a quarter of the weight and so need much less.

yes I know an overdose of anti-b's isn't going to kill a dog but you can't just throw them around willy nilly and considering none of us know what kind of dog he has, saying 'throw 3 amoxicillin down it's throat' isn't doing anyone any favours. a 2kg Yorkie and a 50kg Akita are both dogs but the dosages are obviously not going to be the same

Im waiting on ringing the vets, she seems to be getting worse coughing all night. Shes refusing a biscuit and that aint like her at all, shes not so giddy either, her temp is still normal tho but the best place for her could be the vets. Thanks for your input paddy and I will look into what you suggested for next time.
You really do learn something new every day. Will keep you all updated

Im waiting on ringing the vets, she seems to be getting worse coughing all night. Shes refusing a biscuit and that aint like her at all, shes not so giddy either, her temp is still normal tho but the best place for her could be the vets. Thanks for your input paddy and I will look into what you suggested for next time.
You really do learn something new every day. Will keep you all updated
Please keep us up to date regards her well being.. good luck pal...

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

it is sounding more like kennel cough now, coughing almost continuously, slightly off her food and a bit of lethargy.
Antibiotics don't work on it, your vet may prescribe anti-inflamatories but probably nothing, see how it goes.

Just rung vets shes in at 4:20. Speaking to the receptionist shes seems to think it sounds like kennel cough. She said not all dogs have all the symptoms
Ive got to keep her in the car, and the vet will come out to her.

Well Ive been to the vets. It is kennel cough. Was told to give her
Benylin childrens dry cough mixture 5mg/5ml concentration
2ml twice a day (1 teaspoon)
If she gets any worse then I have to take her back. (she wont be going back unless her head is hanging off) :LOL:

So our little 3 minute day trip to the vets cost me 27.84. Robbing tw@ts but at least now we know, and it might just save someone else paying out when they dont need to.
Thanks to everyone who gave advice etc

Back