Windows 10 Laptop.

about the same length of time it takes to dig a hole....unless it's a really, really big hole and you are using a spoon, or a very small hole and you are using a JCB.

In short, no one knows...you could be downloading 100kb of updates on a 100mb connection or 500mb of updates on a 0.5mb connection

and what OS you are using,
my laptop updates on the fly in the background while I'm using it,
if I turn it off, it pauses the update, then starts again when I turn it on again

Cheers Pablo, it's updating windows 167 off 194 I think it's took 2hrs to reach 169, think it will be ok for next week m8.

I'm not very technical, I had laptop of my brother and when I turned it on the message said don't turn off or unplug this machine as updating windows 167 off 194.

Last edited by a moderator:
Moved to windows 10 section, as you dont mention what OS you have.
Please be careful where you are starting threads, thanks

some of the updates for W7 are prone to becoming corrupt and not installing, there's a workaround but I can't remember what it is.
If you google Windows 7 updates corrupt, there's a lot of info, you don't actually need a lot of them...

I have installed windows 10 from windows 7 but my old laptop seems to be even slower now, would I be able to revert back to 7 or even try 8 ??, any info appreciated thanks .

Firstly, forget Windows 8, pretend it never ever happened, it is the worst OS every made. When Windows 10 was free for the first 12 months, if you bought a new computer with Windows 8 on it, the first thing that would happen is it would offer the upgrade to 10, even Microsoft want to try and forget 8.

Windows 10 is actually faster than Windows 7 but as you upgraded to 10 it may be a bit messed up. It shouldn't be, but could be. You normally have the option to revert back to 7. See if this helps: https://www.pcworld.com/article/307...r-8-after-an-unwanted-windows-10-upgrade.html

If you have upgraded to 10, it means you have a Windows 10 disk image as it isn't a free upgrade anymore. Personally I would backup my files / data and then install Win 10 from scratch and format the C drive when asked during the setup procedure. This will make you computer as fast as it can go as it will remove any shiteware that is installed by the manufacturer.

I think it's windows 7 if that helps ??.
windows 7 was riddled with update problems.with that many updates on the go it looks like you either havent updated in a really long time or have just done a clean install.i had good luck installing a few updates at a time rather than the whole lot at once.

windows 7 was riddled with update problems.with that many updates on the go it looks like you either havent updated in a really long time or have just done a clean install.i had good luck installing a few updates at a time rather than the whole lot at once.

I had a load of trouble installing updates on W7 as they were corrupted
I read somewhere they were purposely corrupted by M$ so that they caused untold problems and that they didn't actually do anything - they were a 'push' towards upgrading to a newer OS
There's still several in my list of 'do not install these updates'
there's been another spate of them in past few months

I read a long time back that if you install standalone versions of explorer and .net 3.5 it will miss a lot of the updates even on a clean install, but I can't find the article now for looking, sorry.

Back