LibreOffice

Gman496

Super Moderator
Staff member
screenshot008361710.png

LibreOffice is the free power-packed Open Source personal productivity suite for Windows, Macintosh and Linux, that gives you six feature-rich applications for all your document production and data processing needs: Writer, Calc, Impress, Draw, Math and Base. Support and documentation is free from our large, dedicated community of users, contributors and developers. You, too, can also get involved!

Download:

-

Curious as to what the differences are between this and Open Office. The icons in the screenshot (which appears to Ubuntu) look identical to those of Open Office. Either way free and open source is great.

Given all the recent uncertainty about Open Office since the Oracle take over.

A new organisation to known as The Document Foundation has been started by some of the leading lights from the Open Office community and Open office has been forked to become Libre Office.

*taken from an online source

I guess that explains the similarities.

FERGUS didn't know either.. .guess I"ve been looking for to much food or pix for number thread. lol

Thanks Gman. ;)

Further explanation for those interested.

Open sourcers have seized control of the OpenOffice project and product and declared their independence from database giant Oracle.

The OpenOffice.org Project has unveiled a major restructuring that separates itself from Oracle and that takes responsibility for OpenOffice away from a single company.

Oracle had been OpenOffice's principal contributor - a role it inherited thanks to its acquisition of the well meaning but slow-witted Sun Microsystems earlier this year.

While OpenOffice had a successful development track record, it was also the code base for Sun's StarOffice so features were broadly developed to serve that goal.

From now on, though, OpenOffice's development and direction will be decided by a steering committee of developers and national language project managers.

Driving home the changes, OpenOffice.org project is now The Document Foundation while the OpenOffice.org suite has been given the temporary name of LibreOffice.

Oracle, meanwhile, has been humiliatingly invited to re-join the OpenOffice community by applying to the Foundation. It's also been asked to donate the OpenOffice.org brand that it owns to the community.

Until there's a decision from Oracle the OpenOffice.org suite will be retain the LibreOffice name. Based on Oracle's history of responding to community ultimatums, we suggest you get used to LibreOffice.

The coup is an attempt by open sourcers and tech companies vested in OpenOffice and distrustful of Oracle to pry control over the project and product's future away from the unfriendly giant.

So does this mean I have to download LibreOffice?? You know this is not what the GM wants to do. :p

I believe I will just stick with my current version of Open Office and just not update at all for a while yet. See how things pan out. (y)

Im just uninstalling openoffice 3.2 to get libreoffice 3.3!
Tried using the update feature in open office but it kept failing...

Im just uninstalling openoffice 3.2 to get libreoffice 3.3!
Tried using the update feature in open office but it kept failing...

I was afraid of that. :( Thanks axxxo... I was feeling good about NOT updating now you ruined my blissfulness. J/K buddy...

L@@KS like we're gonna have to take the Libre plunge there FERGUS... :p

Back