Little George a juvy bearded dragon

Linny40

TK LADY VETERAN
Acquired this little fella last night.They called him George -but never treated him like a saint!
Apparently hes not lived in a tank for a while ( they didnt have one) had no UV or heat and they only fed him now and again. Beardies should be fed every day live insects and veggies. When we asked what he was eating the reply was " dunno aint fed him in a while" WTF???

Was meant to get him the other day but people kept coming up with excuses. So eventually picked him up last night. He has a nice bath to rehydrate him etc and put him in a heated tank.

So no proper tank for him. Found a small tank and put him in it near patio doors today so he could get sun (UV) and heat all day today as its been hot. Hes so far eaten 1/2 box locusts had a drink and although not used to a tank seems happy enough. They guy couldnt be bothered to take him down to a shop or go and buy him a new tank. Apparently he went missing a while back so they sold everything. - NO COMMENT!!!
Well i must admit i was surprised at how healthy he looks - i dont know what i expected but ive seen a lot worse come in the shop. he want to run away form you - probably due to being scared of the dog where he was.
So now going to feed him up get him back up to scratch and find him a good home with someone that wants him.
Icanbe IF only you lived closer i know you'd have him :)
heres the little fella - sorry vids not very good but
[video=youtube;zsYFNH3W07g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsYFNH3W07g[/video]

Another new resident in your little part of Kent, Linny. nice looking animal, especially after the treatment he got in his last home. hope you and george (the beardy, not your son, well, him toolol) have a long and healthy relationship (y)

Linny you truly do have a heart of gold :)

I would take the little guy in a heartbeat and as for the other person who used to own him, what a bloody knob he is, I will never understand people who get pets and then don't care for them, it really does make me mad.

I guess you can't ship bearded dragons via purolator? LOL

oh Icanbe if i could get him to you i would lol!

Id love to keep him but do not have room for a 3ft tank :( But one of Georges friends wants one so we are hoping she will take him on, she took oen of our snakes a whiel back and now has 3 so we know she will care for him.
Since yesterday i found out the previous owner lost his father ( he was only young) but that is still no excuse for not looking after the little fella and not giving him a tank and UV/Heat that he needs to survive.
Little George has eaten half a box of large crickets and 1/2 box of small locusts since yesterday, so doing nicely!! seems happier now and even happy to come out and sit on us rather than be scared!

If only i had the money and the room id take in all unwanted/mistreated reptiles. But unfortunately these type of animals need tanks, uv starter kits, UV bulbs, heat lamps, and food along with other things, so not cheap to look after.
A UV starter kit is around £30 with a UV tube every 6 months ( as the uv breaks down) is over £20 heat bulb is cheaper at around £3 but there is also the electricity and weekley food bill of say £10, plus a tank aprox £100.

But why do people spend all this money to start with Beardie and total kit aprox £200-£250 then give up and get bored. Its beyond me.!!!
But i can assure you he will be going to a good home if we decide we cannot keep him!
The one thing in life i am passionate about is my reptiles - or any that need my help to bring back to health!

Glad you rescued him Linny, cute little fella, looks lonely maybe you will need to get him a friend :)

I feel sorry for them little insects walking about in the video, I guess it is a matter of time before little george eats them :(

I know its nature, but still sad for a softy like me.

Jodav your not the only one. I get people say why cant they eat dead ones - unfortunately they are no good to them dead, plus they wouldnt eat them. Its natural for them to chase their food. Circle of life as they say!
Female beardies are hard to find and 2 males cannot live together as they fight - again natural instinct! plus a male and female together can cause problems as the male as soon as he is mature does what comes natural therefore shortening the females life by keep reproducing. People often say they are solitary animals and are happier to be alone, other than human contact which of course we have introduced by captive breeding of these creatures.

Female beardies are hard to find

Why is that Linny? are there more males born than females, or is it the shorter lifespan you mentioned maybe?

People often say they are solitary animals and are happier to be alone

Then I hope they are right for Little Georges sake :)

Hey, Linny. What would happen if one of them little insect things escaped, would it survive in the enviroment in respect of getting food
or are they foreign things that also need heat or the like.

Why is that Linny? are there more males born than females, or is it the shorter lifespan you mentioned maybe?
bit of both, seems hatch rate is higher males = they can produce around 20-30 eggs, and yes adult females are more expensive because 1 they produce and 2 their lifespan is shorter
Hey, Linny. What would happen if one of them little insect things escaped, would it survive in the enviroment in respect of getting food
or are they foreign things that also need heat or the like.
god they can live forever if they escape - well crickets can Locusts tend to die in the heat , but they do grow and shed both of them.
We had a cricket escape manyrs ago got under the floor - 3 -4 months we kept hearing the darn thing lol! Yes you guessed it the crickets sing and make a heck of a noise ( mating calls) they make their wings dance and its very noisey if you have a box full lol! so if they escape you know they are there but trying to find them is another matter.
Oh and maybe this is not a good idea to admit lol but its the females (as usual) that are the noisey :):) :whistling::whistling:

oh god i could give you lot lessons on "how to" with these things lol!

this little fella is going to get very fat at the rate hes going. Today hes had the rest of the large crickets ND more larger locusts lol! he must have been so hungrey and to have food on tap so to speak hes leading the high life.
A box of live food is aprox £2.50 per tub. Crickets you get more in a tub ( arpox 20-30 for size 5) and locusts depending on their sizes 1 -5 on both as to how many in a box. large locusts size 5 you get around 10, small ones size 1-2 you get around 40-50. They are probably done on weight i would imagine as where ever you shop you get similar amount - think they all come from same suppliers.

Hey, thats very interesting, and very funny Linny. Maybe in a month or so we will be calling him Big Fella lol. keep us up to date how he gets on, if he gets his new home etc.

RIGHT Back to the matter in hand Linny, Well I guess you know where I was going with this one Linny, do it now Linny, you know it makes sense :beg: I will let you pick one for me as the vid did not home in close enough for me to select a distinctive mark on one (plus he may have been eaten by the time you went to release him). Let him know he has me to thank before he starts his new adventure. Maybe you could post a pic of him sometime, who knows he may even turn up in my garden one day to thank me personally ;)

jodav :)

well i can tell you now we empty the dead ones and egg box bit for their tubs into the brown bin for food waste etc and i must have left a few in there the other day as they were small crickets, went to put some food waste in the brown bin only to open lid and find crickets crawling out lol and YES they had got bigger as they were eating all the vegetation and food waste that had previously been put in there.
Jodav im out of crickets for now but when i get some more tomorrow or the weekend ( we have locusts and wax worms so no one is going without) i will take a photo especialyl for you of the crix and their tubs lol! for now here are some piccies i found on google
Crickets
901.jpg

902.jpg

Locusts
903.jpg

904.jpg

Wax worms
905.jpg

906.jpg

meal worms
907.jpg

meal worms 3 life cycles
908.jpg

mealworms are also enjoyed by birds!
enjoy:)

That life cycle is amazing.

Jodav im out of crickets for now but when i get some more tomorrow or the weekend ( we have locusts and wax worms so no one is going without) i will take a photo especialyl for you of the crix and their tubs

Good stuff Linny, I will look forward to that. when you get them make sure you let one of them go (we will name him Lucky), and maybe he can have a pic all to himself :)

Glad to see there are people out there willing to rescue the mistreated reptiles, especially having experienced a lot of people bringing unwanted and uncared for reps into work.

With the treatment he's getting safe to say he'll back to normal in no time! A lot of respect for you :)

It can take a while to get going, but if you get through quite a few, maybe start up your own little mealworm farm. I did it at work as a little project to kill time :whistling:

That life cycle is amazing.

Good stuff Linny, I will look forward to that. when you get them make sure you let one of them go (we will name him Lucky), and maybe he can have a pic all to himself :)

oh dear forgot all about this thanks Sputnik now means i have to get a pic of a cricket - oh what fun trying to get one of them to stay still lol!

erm thanks but i wont be starting any colonies lol! tried that in the shop and it was time consuming and (stunk) ive got no where to store them! Id rather go to shop on a weekely/fortnightly basis for live and frozen foods :) Sputnik ive rescued a few over the years! you may see a few of my stories here in Pet Cental on of my forum! reptiliciousreptileforum.com
Thanks for your comments!
if you look for other stories in here you will see George is a big fella now

you know ive never really looked at the pictures i posted of how they develop from mealies to the beetles but looking at the picture now i can see! They are usualyl gone before they get to that stage

Back