loosing over 50mb speed on zgemma box with vpn

leec32

hi

just looking for suggestions as to why i could be loosing over 50mb speed on my zgemma boxes using vpn

both are hard wired to the router.
using PIA but if i connect to the same server on my pc with the pia windows app i only loose a few mb as to be expected

if i speed test on the boxes without vpn speeds are fine so i am a bit confused as to why its going from 70mb+ down to 8mb with vpn turned on. ive tried udp and tcp and tcp is around the same with a worse ping, ping is around 30ms so thats not a problem

tia for any suggestions.

Go check the specs of the box and what the lan port can do

That will tell you why your only getting under 10mb
Like everyone else. Cheaper box with a low speed connection

ive just recently upgraded from adsl getting 19mbs which when the vpn was on i was getting around 16mb, i was running 2 iptv subs and a xbox one at the same time no problem

now im on vdsl 80mb im only getting 8mb vpn on, with vpn off im getting 60mb

so what you have said makes no sense at all

yeah right so explain how im getting 60mb no vpn and 8mb with vpn, obvisuly nothing to do with the lan port or i wouldn't be getting 60mb lol

I use PIA and have done for a few years.
Some servers do have a noticable drop off, but Southampton and Sweden tend to be the most reliable for me.
Is your zgemma definitely connecting to the same location / server as when you test on your PC?

I use PIA and have done for a few years.
Some servers do have a noticable drop off, but Southampton and Sweden tend to be the most reliable for me.
Is your zgemma definitely connecting to the same location / server as when you test on your PC?

yes mate same server i also use Southampton, someone pointed out to me yesterday with the h2s i55 etc with them been low powered openvpn uses a lot of resources and he looses around 60mbps with vpn turned on, he has tested several devices.

im loosing around 60mbps so he was bang on, without vpn im hitting 70mbps, mines a h2s.

i use net speed test plugin to speed test and i would like to be able to change the test server location as it automatically picks London every time just to double check but i cant see a way to do it or even know if it is possible

Gents,

The best thing to do is use a VPN on your router, that way you will not use any of your bandwidth if you are using a good VPN provider.

Mm

Gents,

The best thing to do is use a VPN on your router, that way you will not use any of your bandwidth if you are using a good VPN provider.

Mm

yeah i thought about it but i don't want to slow the kids down when they are on xboxes and what ever else.

yeah i thought about it but i don't want to slow the kids down when they are on xboxes and what ever else.
You can configure it so it's only active on the eth port you are using on your router for your box if you are hardwired in. This will not effect any other device.

Im pretty sure it depends on what router you are using and / or what ISP provided router you have. Google will be your friend.

The speed degradation mentioned is nearly entirely due to the h2s cpu not being particularly powerful (single core dual thread running at around 750mhz). If you are getting 8mbps from a fibre feed, which pia server used is also largely irrelevant if the server can deliver significantly more than 8mbps (which most pia ones do), although poor ping does affect vpn speed because a poor quality stream does not help with the flow of encryption, which is also why ethernet via homeplugs can also degrade vpn speed by a couple of mbps.

The cpu is important because encryption and decryption are computational intensive. This is also why you get much higher vpn speed using your pc all else being equal.

The point to note, of getting a separate router dedicated to vpn, is that the cpu of that router would now be the "bottleneck", so if it is not substantially better for number crunching, you are going to suffer similar speed degradation. Running openvpn with 128bit aes (which is pia default), you are likely having to spend close to or over £100 on a router to give you over 20mbps.

8mbps is usually adequate for a single hd stream, is it not good enough for your purpose? If you are happy with around 13 mbps (usually good enough for 2 hd streams), https://www.amazon.co.uk/GL-AR300M-Converter-Pre-installed-Performance-Compatible/dp/B01K6MHRJI is a cracking vpn router for under £40.

Cheers!

hi

thanks for the informative reply, very helpful.

ping is ok 35ms via my zgemma, 15ms on my pc so not loosing much

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/products/details/cat-5030_Archer-VR2800.html is the router i have but i hard a little search last night and dont think i can add PIA vpn service on it, it supports openvpn, ipsec and also pptp but dont think i can do it with private internet access

i think it is more as you say due to the low specs of the h2s, someone else also told me this will be the reason, im going to be upgrading to a h9s soon.

the reason i started to investigate because i was getting glitching on my zegemma boxes on iptv streams, all set up using service app, hls streams etc etc
the glitching didn't happen when i tried vlc on the pc so i ruled the provider out.

as with iptv there is always something to trouble shoot lol

To be honest, if you need a VPN with your IPTV provider, in my opinion it's time to change provider, as they clearly don't have the technical know how to work around the technical issues.

I've been with my provider 9 months now.
3pm footy, Pay Per View, Sky Sports, BT Sports, never an issue. Ever, and no VPN required.
They have worked their ar$es to get to this position , but, they clearly know what they are doing

To be honest, if you need a VPN with your IPTV provider, in my opinion it's time to change provider, as they clearly don't have the technical know how to work around the technical issues.

I've been with my provider 9 months now.
3pm footy, Pay Per View, Sky Sports, BT Sports, never an issue. Ever, and no VPN required.
They have worked their ar$es to get to this position , but, they clearly know what they are doing

agree and mine do not require a vpn also but i use a business line from home with tb and i use a vpn just to be on the safe side.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/products/details/cat-5030_Archer-VR2800.html is the router i have but i hard a little search last night and dont think i can add PIA vpn service on it, it supports openvpn, ipsec and also pptp but dont think i can do it with private internet access

I think you should be able to use that router (which is quite powerful) as a PIA client. However, it seems you have to flash it with e.g. dd-wrt/openwrt to use the openvpn protocol, but it would appear there is no reason why you can't set it up with PIA using e.g. L2TP by simply referencing https://www.expressvpn.com/support/vpn-setup/manual-config-for-tp-link-router-with-l2tp/ and https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/client-support/generate-password

https://easyvpnrouter.com/product/tp-link-ac2600-wireless-wi-fi-gigabit-router-archer-c2600/ is as good as a proof as any that your router can run openvpn using PIA with suitable customisation.

Back