Lost internet

Swampo

hi all, forgive me, I'm an idiot. I know nothing technical about my zgemma 5.2tc box. I bought it pre configured from eBay. All working fine until my good lady unplugged everything to decorate, now can't seem to connect to Internet. I'm using Ethernet straight to router, but have an amber light on zgemma box, I'm guessing it should be green. Tried the autobouqet and reboot, get the usual programme information but no picture, so pretty sure it's an Internet connection thing.

hi all, forgive me, I'm an idiot. I know nothing technical about my zgemma 5.2tc box. I bought it pre configured from eBay. All working fine until my good lady unplugged everything to decorate, now can't seem to connect to Internet. I'm using Ethernet straight to router, but have an amber light on zgemma box, I'm guessing it should be green. Tried the autobouqet and reboot, get the usual programme information but no picture, so pretty sure it's an Internet connection thing.

Try this:
make sure the VM or Sky cables are securely connected to the box. then:
put the Zgemma into standby
then power off both the router and the zgemma at the socket
Wait 2 mins
power on the router only, wait for a few minutes until it's settled and stopped flashing etc
power on the zgemma, wait until it boots then try one of the premium channels

Try this:
make sure the VM or Sky cables are securely connected to the box. then:
put the Zgemma into standby
then power off both the router and the zgemma at the socket
Wait 2 mins
power on the router only, wait for a few minutes until it's settled and stopped flashing etc
power on the zgemma, wait until it boots then try one of the premium channels

Thank you, just tried this a couple of times, no joy I'm afraid, still have Amber light on zgemma Ethernet connection and no green light on router?

Thank you, just tried this a couple of times, no joy I'm afraid, still have Amber light on zgemma Ethernet connection and no green light on router?

So the router works but the ZG won't power on?
you said earlier you had an amber light on the ZG box? - did you mean at the ethernet cable?
does any menus appear on screen?
is the HDMI cable still connected to box and TV?
Have you tried a different LAN cable or at least tried a different ethernet port on the router with the existing cable?

So the router works but the ZG won't power on?
you said earlier you had an amber light on the ZG box? - did you mean at the ethernet cable?
does any menus appear on screen?
is the HDMI cable still connected to box and TV?
Have you tried a different LAN cable or at least tried a different ethernet port on the router with the existing cable?
Yes, the box is on, I get the epg and channel description as I scroll through, all menus are working, the Ethernet port on the ZG box is amber. Wifi working fine as I'm sending this using it. HDMI connected. Tried different ports and cables, I'm puzzled why it would not reconnect. My wife tells me she just unplugged everything to move the to, ZG may still have been on at the time?

Yes, the box is on, I get the epg and channel description as I scroll through, all menus are working, the Ethernet port on the ZG box is amber. Wifi working fine as I'm sending this using it. HDMI connected. Tried different ports and cables, I'm puzzled why it would not reconnect. My wife tells me she just unplugged everything to move the to, ZG may still have been on at the time?

So how do you know the box isn't connecting to the internet?
Can you get bbc1, itv etc?

have you performed a network test?
menu>setup>system>network>device setup>network test

you want all green ticks here

So how do you know the box isn't connecting to the internet?
Can you get bbc1, itv etc?

have you performed a network test?

you want all green ticks here
LAN connection is the only one green.
I get ordinary BBC, itv, 5 channels in all. Thanks for the patience.

LAN connection is the only one green.
I get ordinary BBC, itv, 5 channels in all. Thanks for the patience.

OK if you only get one green tick and the rest are red, the box isn't connected to the router for one reason or another.
You can change nameserver settings to those of google's:
menu>setup>system>network>device setup>nameserver settings
change namerserver1 to 8.8.8.8
change nameserver 2 to 8.8.4.4
press green to save
then put box into standby, reboot both box and router
when fully rebooted, go back to
menu>setup>system>network>device setup>nameserver settings and check that the above DNS have saved correctly, then try one of the premium channels

OK if you only get one green tick and the rest are red, the box isn't connected to the router for one reason or another.
You can change nameserver settings to those of google's:
menu>setup>system>network>device setup>nameserver settings
change namerserver1 to 8.8.8.8
change nameserver 2 to 8.8.4.4
press green to save
then put box into standby, reboot both box and router
when fully rebooted, go back to
menu>setup>system>network>device setup>nameserver settings and check that the above DNS have saved correctly, then try one of the premium channels
Changed and saved successfully but no picture.
Back to basics, as mentioned I'm a bit of an idiot, when I first bought the box, I didn't realise it needed to be connected to the Internet, so, can you confirm, I plug Ethernet into router, hdmi into TV, f connector to splitter. When I perform a autobouquet search I only get 382video and 38 radio?

yes, it needs a permanent ethernet connection
if the DNS settings saved correctly, have you done a second network test and got all green ticks?

Still only LAN Connector green?
You may have to buy a new ethernet cable, they're only cheap.
Once the box is connected to internet, it will work again.
It's not a software/settings issue, which only leaves hardware
The LAN looks like it's working, Amber at the ZG box and green at the router means it's working, but obviously it isn't, and there's a possibility the cable has been damaged, so try a new one and see what happens

Just on off chance have you set the box up for ethanet with dchp set to yes and pressed OK to activate the network

I'll try a new Ethernet. Yes bazcfc1, I tried that and it said network activated, but clearly not, maybe it's the cable?

do you have any other devices that take ethernet cables? -smart TV or games console etc and check that cable first.
It's not impossible for the LAN cable to be faulty

Guys, woopie, I've unplugged everything and started again, adding bazcfc1's advice and it's worked.
Can't thank you enough for your time and patience.

Back