M*A*S*H star Harry Morgan dies, 96

noelyf

VIP Member
Thursday 8 December 2011

Harry Morgan, the character actor best known for his Emmy-winning portrayal of Colonel Sherman T Potter in M*A*S*H, has died. He was 96.

00054e94-314.jpg

Harry Morgan - Best known for his Emmy-winning portrayal of Colonel Sherman T Potter in M*A*S*H

The Associated Press reports that the actor died on Wednesday in Brentwood, California of complications from pneumonia.

Morgan was nominated for eight Emmys for his work on M*A*S*H - including two for directing - but won only once.

In a career spanning six decades, Morgan also appeared on Broadway, in the TV series Dragnet and Gunsmoke and in such films as High Noon, Cat Ballou and The Shootist.

He is survived by his wife, three sons and three grandchildren.

used to watch tis years ago what a good laugh he gave us. he will be remembered by me and my wife, sat infront of the box. week after week and laughed a hell of a lot at this comedy

I first remember Henry Morgan as Officer Gannon on "Dragnet", which I would watch on reruns. I then began to watch MASH every week, and seeing him as first a crazed General, then as Colonel Sherman T. Potter, a man who brought some humility to my tv screen. I still watch MASH whenever it is on tv. Even after over 30yrs, and having seen every single episode, it still brings enjoyment every time I watch it.

Time for you Col. Potter to ride your horse Sophie off into that never ending sunset!!

Back