Mag 250 Being Throttled?

I plugged the box directly into the router and was getting the same results. I'll try resetting the Router and see if it helps. It only seems to be the Mag box thats affected. All my other devices are getting really good speeds.
You could try changing ethanet port on back of router see if that makes a difference mate or new ethanet cables

I used the same cable on the laptop to do the speed tests and they came in fine. I'll give it a go. Thanks
Have you tried with just the mag box connected to bb and nothing else I'm just posting what I would do for you mate

Your best way is you say speeds on router and laptops and all stuff is fine. Even the info from supplier they say is fine?
To rule out all stuff, If its plugs or cables is: Where you have the mag connected (Probably under telly) and its getting 4mbs just leave that where it is and just swap the connections from there and see what speeds you get from the laptop. Thats a different device in the place as the mag box and see what speeds are.
If its more than 4mbs you say on the mag box, Then the mag appears to be something up with it. If the laptop gets low speeds than the cabling is at fault?
Although the mag may give good speed at another property it might not like the cabling you are using.
Plus have you any filters in place? Just a thought, Shouldn,t need them on fiber as a rule but you never know.

Actually its wired to a WiFi extender. I have checked the speeds through it and they are 50+ also. I thought it may have been this, but it doesn'y look like it.

Gone back over the thread and noticed this in bold above which I missed the first time?

This tells me your connected by wifi using a repeater which will not be has strong as connecting directly to your box as with an Ethernet cable. (Router long cable to mag box)
In theory your connected by wifi, The signal will not be as strong as wired Ethernet cable.
You may want to try powerline ethernet kit which would be stronger connection than the repeater has that will not require you to put a cable directly from your box but to a plug and your home wiring to fake it into believing in theory its connected directly to the box using power-lines? (Works stronger than repeaters)

Some info on repeaters. Plus other solutions that maybe better for you.
https://www.repeaterstore.com/pages/wifi-booster-repeater-extender-differences

login to your router
goto security settings
then firewall
look at your firewall settings

IPv4 firewall
Firewall protection is ticked
Block fragmented IP packets no tick
Port scan detection is ticked
IP flood detection no tick

change these and save settings reboot router

Last edited:
https://pixelprivacy.com/resources/stop-isp-throttling/

"
A VPN is an excellent choice for blocking your ISP from throttling your traffic, especially P2P/Torrenting traffic.

A good VPN encrypts the data you are sending and receiving, directing it through a protected tunnel. Your ISP will be able to see that you’re sending and receiving data, but it won’t be able to tell what kind of traffic it is. "

Hi did you ever solve problem ? I have mag 256 with exactly same problem. My provider is Voda , contacted them and they assure me no throttling ! However only mag box and android box effected, I’m able to clear cache on android which cures it and was wondering if mag has a cache??

Hi did you ever solve problem ? I have mag 256 with exactly same problem. My provider is Voda , contacted them and they assure me no throttling ! However only mag box and android box effected, I’m able to clear cache on android which cures it and was wondering if mag has a cache??
Never got it sorted. I'm with voda as well and they promised me they aren't throttling. Everything gets perfect speeds apart from when the mag box is connected. I am going to try a vpn as a last resort and see if that makes any difference. I have tried everything else.

if your with VM give them a ring and complain about your speed drops, ask them to look at your router settings too

or go here and make a post about your connection, speed, and problems
VM Community forum
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/bd-p/Speed

Done all that Mate. They got me to do speed tests 3 times a day on safe mode with the WiFi turned off and send them the results. Every test came in over 40mbs so they said I am receiving the speeds that were promised. All my speed tests come in at that speed now apart from the Mag Box.

Never got it sorted. I'm with voda as well and they promised me they aren't throttling. Everything gets perfect speeds apart from when the mag box is connected. I am going to try a vpn as a last resort and see if that makes any difference. I have tried everything else.

who is your provider ?? virgin or voda

Hi , spoke to Voda last Wednesday who said they would ‘monitor ‘ my mag speed for week to make sure I’m getting proper speed . My problem is I can’t camcel as other WiFi and hard wire speeds in the 50s it just mag box

Hi , spoke to Voda last Wednesday who said they would ‘monitor ‘ my mag speed for week to make sure I’m getting proper speed . My problem is I can’t camcel as other WiFi and hard wire speeds in the 50s it just mag box
Mine is exactly the same. Mag is the only issue.

Mine is exactly the same. Mag is the only issue.
I bought £30 android which is showing 30 download but still buffering and only showing sd, its isp not my iptv. Pretty sure Voda are somehow throttling mag. I ordered replacement router on line just to see if it could be router but now after reading your post positive it’s Voda. Please post if vpn works

This would be what I would do to rule things out?

My recommendations for you two who are suffering these problems is firstly both of you are running WiFi which will never give you has good as a connection as Ethernet.
Thats my opinion, Many other on the internet will tell you differently. :( (wifi v ethernet speed )

Ethernet = That,s a cable directly from the router to your device. Until you connect one you,ll just be guessing what the problem is?
Now like I say connect a device other than your mag box (Under the TV) like a PlayStation/xbox/laptop since these you can check your speeds. With a cable from the router directly not by any other means, Until you do you can not rule out wifi and cabling?
This will rule out any cables or wifi has the problem. If the device still has problems then its cabling/wifi thats the problem.
If you get the speeds has tho you connected to the router by a hard wired cable then the problem is with mag box.
Can,t really help beyond what I advice. Since your telling us that ISP provider is saying your getting the speeds fine in to your home?

Also another thing you could try is your router maybe blocking a port. doubtful but you could try port forwarding on your router this will open a port assigned to your box?

"Port forwarding is the process of configuring a router to make a computer or other network device that is connected to it accessible to other computers and network devices from outside of the local network. Port forwarding uses an IP address plus port number to route network requests to specific devices."

LINK: Port forwarding

This would be what I would do to rule things out?

My recommendations for you two who are suffering these problems is firstly both of you are running WiFi which will never give you has good as a connection as Ethernet.
Thats my opinion, Many other on the internet will tell you differently. :( (wifi v ethernet speed )

Ethernet = That,s a cable directly from the router to your device. Until you connect one you,ll just be guessing what the problem is?
Now like I say connect a device other than your mag box (Under the TV) like a PlayStation/xbox/laptop since these you can check your speeds. With a cable from the router directly not by any other means, Until you do you can not rule out wifi and cabling?
This will rule out any cables or wifi has the problem. If the device still has problems then its cabling/wifi thats the problem.
If you get the speeds has tho you connected to the router by a hard wired cable then the problem is with mag box.
Can,t really help beyond what I advice. Since your telling us that ISP provider is saying your getting the speeds fine in to your home?
Wired laptop to the same ethernet connection that is in the mag box. Speed tests at 50+mbs. This was wired directly to the router. All other devices are getting 50+mbs. Mag box works fine as its been tested in 2 other houses and getting really good speeds. Brand new ethernet cable tried and same results. Rules out cabling, and connecting to the wifi extender.

Back