Major internet issues since connecting box!?

channelking

I really need any help, advice etc

Since connecting the box to the kit I bought and setting it up I have had major intermittent problems/disconnection for LONG periods of time.

I did ask if this kit could mess the internet up and was told it wouldn't but it has.

Can anyone tell me why this is happening and what I can do?

I have friends on all different internet providers and with no problems Are the problems during peak times ?

get a picture of your setup so we can guide you further,as we said on other thread splitter on main coaxial feed into house one side going to router and other side to box,everybody is doing it that way,and remember lan cable from box to router.

as you dont have cable yet leave off the splitter and get the sat side working first,then we can address the cable side.

Well at the moment it's working but it's drops connection at random times for long periods of time.

@cactikid setup is wired and exactly as you described. I don't think it's a problem with setup.

---------- Post Merged at 02:00 PM ----------

I have live cable on the in port if splitter and have two on the out ports on splitter, one going to router and one to to box.

I also have two sat cables in the two lnb in ports.

Yes connected directly from router to box.

Dont use homeplugs, but others use homeplugs and there is no problem for them. Homeplugs do act as a direct connection.

However wifi would cause big problems.

Are all your other devices such as PC's ipads etc working using the internet
when the box is disconnecting ?

No nothing works when internet disconnects a lot including the box. This isn't a normal issue. I don't even know if the ISP can fix this, as it's a long term problem. However it has got worse since setting up the new box.

Like I said it's working now and speedtest is giving me right speeds.

i am more worried when connection drops again and how will I prevent it.

No nothing works when internet disconnects a lot including the box. This isn't a normal issue. I don't even know if the ISP can fix this, as it's a long term problem. However it has got worse since setting up the new box.

So you were having problems with your VM internet before you bought the box? Have you contacted VM about it?

If it's got worse since using the splitter, it sounds like you may have a border line signal issue.

Get in touch with VM & get your internet working properly, although as cactikid knows from my post in another thread, I had 6 months of intermittent internet when I was with VM, which they only guaranteed to fix when I phoned up to leave!

btw...if you do get VM to visit, disconnect all traces of your box, splitters etc.

So you were having problems with your VM internet before you bought the box? Have you contacted VM about it?

If it's got worse since using the splitter, it sounds like you may have a border line signal issue.

Get in touch with VM & get your internet working properly, although as cactikid knows from my post in another thread, I had 6 months of intermittent internet when I was with VM, which they only guaranteed to fix when I phoned up to leave!

btw...if you do get VM to visit, disconnect all traces of your box, splitters etc.

I have had some some issues with the internet before getting the new box. However it got much worse since getting the new box and setting it up.

They have done nothing to fix the problem I'm afraid.

My disconnections/intermittent problems have existed as long as yours and still exists lol. I dont why I'm laughing as it's not even funny.

What exactly is border line signal issue? How can it be fixed?

Lol oh I will get rid of everything kit, box, remote etc if they come. That's my main thing to do.

But I honestly don't know if the internet will ever be stable 24/7 like others, especially those who are using the kit setup. I envy them in all honestly. Nothing more I can do.

So I lost connection for an hour again. I have had it now. It's getting ridiculous.

I have noticed the extra cables that are in the 2 out ports and in the router and box are not tight it moves from right to left. Is this normal for anyone who has the kit?

The connectors on the coaxial cables screw in tight, which seems fine.

I don't think getting high quality coaxial cable and connectors will solve the issue I am having.

connections need to tightish not wobbly.losing connection with lan cable to router from splitter issue.is the router a screw on f plug and is the splitter also using f plugs?

Well I assume the router is f connector as the f connectors on the coax cables screw in it and in the box.

The connectors are screwed in tight but the white cables on which the connectors are fitted on kinda moves it's not tight so to speak.

I don't recall you mentioning that you had long term problems with your internet when you first posted about getting a cable box. Otherwise I would have advised against it untill your internet connection was fixed. Even if using the splitters hadn't made your connection worse, the fact that your internet goes down every now & again means that you won't be able to watch your cable box, even if the signal was strong enough.

As the splitter & extra cables has made your connection worse, I suspect that you already have a low signal to start with (as the splitter introduces additional losses), that's why you may have a border-line signal (sometimes it works & sometimes it doesn't). There's nothing you can do yourself. It may need someone to alter your connection in the green cabinet.

Until you get your broadband sorted, then you're always going to get intermittent scrambling on your box as well. I would suggest posting on VM official forums. VM CS agents are pretty good at picking up complaints (or they used to be anyway) & will arrange an "engineers" visit. Keep on & on at them until the problem is fixed. If you don't get satisfaction (like I didn't), then threaten to leave. They will then offer you every incentive under the sun to get you to stay.

The reason I left VM was in this post:-

http://www.techkings.org/general-cable-tv/68187-vm-tracing-third-party-boxes.html#post381684

Back