McIlroy claims place in history

noelyf

VIP Member
359.jpg

Rory McIlroy

Friday June 17 2011

From a league of his own to re-writing history - Rory McIlroy continued to dazzle in the US Open at Congressional.

The 22-year-old, trying to keep the trophy in Northern Irish hands following Graeme McDowell's victory last year, entered the record books in dramatic fashion when he sank a 113-yard pitch for an eagle two at the eighth hole.

Having already added birdies at the fourth and sixth to his opening six-under-par 65, the shot made McIlroy the first player in the event's 111-year history to reach 10 under during the second round.

Playing partner Phil Mickelson stood and applauded as the ball spun into the cup to take the world number eight into an almost unimaginable seven-stroke lead over the game's greatest players - minus Tiger Woods, of course.

And that chasm expanded to eight after he hit his approach to four feet at the 467-yard 14th.

McIlroy, a few months younger than Jack Nicklaus was when he lifted the first of his 18 majors in 1962, would be the youngest person to lift the trophy since another legend of golf - amateur Bobby Jones - in 1923.

McIlroy had "only" to par the last four holes to break the 36-hole record total in the championship by Ricky Barnes at Bethpage Black two years ago.

And playing them in one under would enable him to match the major record of Nick Faldo at Muirfield in 1992.

He's flying now -16 dont think you'll win your bet jodav lol

I had £10 E\W on him hill16 so if he can finish in the top six I will be happy with 1\4 of the odds, I think it will be touch and go cos he does not look to comfortable on this long course. Also had £5 E\W on Jacobsen at 125\1 :) one of them must come in the top 6 surely.

Back