Mondeo 2.0lt TDCI 130BHP carbon build up

no1dad

hi i purchased my mondeo about 4month ago and have been getting excessive smoke from exhaust i have had a engine clean Terraclean but still no joy, i decided to remove the EGR valve and give it a good clean with brake cleaner would anyone recommend a good engine cleaner so i dont have to take every part off to clean

What colour is the smoke?
Black - Try giving it a really good thrashing. If a manual rev the nuts off it for a few miles or if Auto put it in sport mode if it has one and floor it, or use numbered drive selector to enable high revs.
A lot of diesel's particulate filters get topped up with crap, especially if it's led a sheltered life. You should hopefully see the black smoke clearing after a few goes.
If its still black - possible injector fault or particulate filter needs replacement

White - excessive smoke is possible coolant leak into engine - possible head gasket

Blue - burning oil - possible engine wear in bores - not normal unless very high mileage

it is black i have give it a good thrashing red lining it when i bought it there was a split in the egr to intercooler pipe and when i removed the egr valve it was caked in black soot, if it has had a sheltered life would the black soot be all the way to the cat

If the EGR pipe was split that explains the soot in the exhaust system. Try some injector cleaner and a nice long high rev drive. Check for any error codes on OBD you won't necessarily get the management light on. Android compatible Bluetooth scanners on fleabay are peanuts. Dirty injectors can cause same problems.

Would it be better to take all the exhaust system off and clean it, I have a OBD reader but no codes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diesel systems always look sooty. It take quite a while for the CAT to burn off if it's got contaminated - it takes up to 15 miles to get it warm enough even longer in the winter. A lot of the emission testing work on CATS was done in California where the ambient operating temperature is around 20 degrees C
Some of the Rover 75s I used to work on look like a James Bond secret weapon when they were coked up.

what grade of oil is used as wrong oil leaves more soot in engine,we use an additive called nova powerkleen put into fuel tank 1/4 full and watch the cars behind vanish in a cloud of black smoke lol.used in a ford galaxy with 480,000 miles to pass our nct and it was a 98 model.

I had the same problem by using supermarket fuel. Filled up with shell v-power, it cleaned everything out. Now I only use ordinary shell and have no smoke.

Back