MOT jobsworths useless ****

Stoke

My partner took her motor to get MOT'd today. We usually use a local garage, but they were too busy so we went to another garage that we've never used before. Took it in at 8:30 am as they told me they'd be able do any necessary work to put it through.

What a bunch of f'ing jobsworths. I knew one of the brake lights was out, so took in the bulb and let him know. I've done this before. Down as a failure, we've got one about motifs obscuring the windscreen.... Because of her air freshener around the rear view mirror.... And the bulb..... Despite the fact I took a replacement in.....

Muppet

Idiocy I call it, this doesn't sound like jobsworths in the normal sense, it sounds like they are out to make a few extra bucks by making you get the car retested.

FECKERS!!!!

On the other side of the coin if OP knew brake light was out why not fit it before Mot. Retest should be free anyway if faults rectified within 10 days.

That is not the way over here, it is another €25 for a retest. If I were to go to a garage and said there is a bulb bust before you test my car, I would expect to be billed for a bulb replacement and an MOT, nothing more or less.
Over here the test centres are independent, they do not do repairs, they are purely test centres, probably a better system, less open to abuse.

This is why i only take my car to a no pass no fee mot garage, and a mot garage that only do mot's and not one that fixis cars as well.

My missus has dreamcatcher thing and airfreshner dangling from hers and that past last week.
Cheeky t****

I work in an Mot centre and we don't charge for retest also if customer is present or had left phone number once test is done we would ask before removing air freshener or replacing bulb. You would not believe how many nutters there are who would have a complete headfit if you moved anything in the car or did anything else to the car to pass it, even though it is to save them the hassle of retesting. Some would accuse you of making stuff up just to inflate their bill even if is only a couple of quid for a bulb. In this guys case he told them it needed a bulb and even gave them the bulb to change so I cannot see why it was failed and I would also have a rant if it was me

I find it weird that a garage can just do a mot
in NI you have to take it to a government centre

Test £30.50 and retest is £18.50
and if you have bulb out you might just get away with it, but it should be a fail

absolute disgrace shood never been failed on bulb money grabbing mot inspector good job he did not get aney thing else on it a decent garage would have replaced bulb no problem then tested moter

Last edited:
over here in canada i would have failed it for the bulb as well,but would have given them the option of replacing it and then,if nothing else was amiss,passing it.anything constituting a repair would have to be authorised first.

and if you have bulb out you might just get away with it, but it should be a fail

£47 I paid mate but free retest. Luckily it passed.
They say it's a free retest but most of the cost of a retest is in with the £47

Mot`s are nothing more than a money making stint for private garages, There should government controlled centres where everyone take their car to it, and only then will we get some kind of system that is both fair and consistent when it comes to mot`s, Its been proved time & time again, Take a car that has passed in one mot garage, and take it straight to another mot garage, and there is a fair change it could fail, so where is the consistency in this system, NONE, Money making exercise... nothing more.....

On the other side of the coin if OP knew brake light was out why not fit it before Mot. Retest should be free anyway if faults rectified within 10 days.
True enough regarding replacing it. She only told me the morning of the test. We went and bought the bulb but we simply ran out of time. I've done this before though (taken the bulb in). It's effectively me authorizing them to fit the bulb, and charge whatever labour it is, (15 minutes work at whatever their 1/4 hour rate is?). That would have been fine.

Supposedly, the re-test is free if I took it back in 10 days, but it's the test itself that's free. They can supposedly charge time (?) which on the wall is priced at half the test fee.

This is why i only take my car to a no pass no fee mot garage, and a mot garage that only do mot's and not one that fixis cars as well.
Unfortunately, they're in limited quantities outside London. My nearest is Mansfield which is a decent 70 mile trip. It might be worth the effort though in the future....

I work in an Mot centre and we don't charge for retest also if customer is present or had left phone number once test is done we would ask before removing air freshener or replacing bulb. You would not believe how many nutters there are who would have a complete headfit if you moved anything in the car or did anything else to the car to pass it, even though it is to save them the hassle of retesting. Some would accuse you of making stuff up just to inflate their bill even if is only a couple of quid for a bulb. In this guys case he told them it needed a bulb and even gave them the bulb to change so I cannot see why it was failed and I would also have a rant if it was me
I was present. I stayed at the test centre with my partner. Normally, I'd go away but this time I actually stayed. I would have happily told him to remove the air freshener and he already knew he had prior authorisation to fit the bulb. So long as he didn't charge an entire hours work, which no self-respecting garage would I'm sure.

Seems like a far better system to me. Would also reduce the amount of 'MOT'd by my cousin' cars on the road (of which in England there are literally hundreds of thousands, if not near millions) that are actually unsafe.

over here in canada i would have failed it for the bulb as well,but would have given them the option of replacing it and then,if nothing else was amiss,passing it.anything constituting a repair would have to be authorised first.
He had prior authorisation to change the bulb. I've done this before when I knew a bulb was out, and so long as they don't charge a ridiculous amount for time, I'm happy. This is the first time it's ever happened.

Mot`s are nothing more than a money making stint for private garages, There should government controlled centres where everyone take their car to it, and only then will we get some kind of system that is both fair and consistent when it comes to mot`s, Its been proved time & time again, Take a car that has passed in one mot garage, and take it straight to another mot garage, and there is a fair change it could fail, so where is the consistency in this system, NONE, Money making exercise... nothing more.....
Hard not to agree with this comment, especially after my experience yesterday.

Ultimately, I've gone a different route with this. I was tempted to take it back at 2pm to get it done at the half price re-test by the same garage..... but my principals are principals.... and I stand by them.

It's booked in at my local friendly garage that I usually use. Friday 9am.

I really hope the other garage goes bankrupt.... and I say that with absolutely no sarcasm whatsoever.

I would have thought that if your car`s in for an MOT, and all IT needs is a bulb, then the MOT station should pass the vehicle, and an advisory should be noted on the mot slip, If you were driving down the road, and the police stop you, and said, YOUR buls not working....would you be fined, or be dragged up to court... [ dont think so ] So why should a faulty bulb be a failure,Because the system is flawed and weak, and can be, and is... manipulated, and greedy garages jump on this, why else do some garages only do MOT`S..Because there's cash to be made...simple...

If you knew the bulb was out you should of changed it asap there not on the car too look pretty! Only got yourself to blame

So why should a faulty bulb be a failure

Err, because it's illegal to drive a car without a working set of lights lol

Just love these rant room threads, we need more of them (y)

So you lost a family member due to a faulty brake light?
No a car that had faulty breaks but it had passed it's mot 3 days ago. At the end of the day its against the law to drive without having working lights the op knew the light was out and was too lazy to replace it. Own fault! What would of happened if during the time the OP knew the light was out the other had gone it's your driving behind him how you meant to know if he's breaking or not?

Back