Moving to the wilderness

rtm

I hope someone can help. We're moving, leaving behind our superfast BB, Kodi box with all the trimmings and heading to a place where there is no broadband, yep you read that correctly. It's pointless me signing up for a broadband deal as the connection speed is between 1-4mb download so here is my dilemma. Help needed, please. There is a satellite dish at our new property so I'm assuming the previous tenants had SKY. I don't want to sign up for an 18-month subscription if I can avoid it. What box do you recommend I get and can I unlock the encryption using a MIFI? I don't know enough about this TV solution so would be grateful for advice. It's my understanding that you can run a TV box (which one is best?) and you can access a multitude of channels via your dish but it requires a broadband connection if this is the case does it rely on a continuous supply of data over the net? If it does I'm cooked...my only source of broadband would be MIFI running 30gb data per month.

I hope someone can help. We're moving, leaving behind our superfast BB, Kodi box with all the trimmings and heading to a place where there is no broadband, yep you read that correctly. It's pointless me signing up for a broadband deal as the connection speed is between 1-4mb download so here is my dilemma. Help needed, please. There is a satellite dish at our new property so I'm assuming the previous tenants had SKY. I don't want to sign up for an 18-month subscription if I can avoid it. What box do you recommend I get and can I unlock the encryption using a MIFI? I don't know enough about this TV solution so would be grateful for advice. It's my understanding that you can run a TV box (which one is best?) and you can access a multitude of channels via your dish but it requires a broadband connection if this is the case does it rely on a continuous supply of data over the net? If it does I'm cooked...my only source of broadband would be MIFI running 30gb data per month.
You need constant bb mate I would say to watch continually depends on how you would use it whether it would just be evening or if you have kids constantly wanting to watch their favourite shows I connect my phone to my box if there is a bb fault and can use a lot of data

Sky's recently brought a new encryption system out to stop people accessing their channels that way so many channels are now blocked. It might get hacked but most think it wont for some time if it is.

You should look at having a decent motorised satellite system in the country, we've done loads for country properties with poor internet, it boosts the download capacity by a massive amount for tv - you can access anything up to 300Gig over all satellites without fear of running out of BB & get much better quality than kodi & iptv steams that usually come from satellite in the first place, then they drop the quality right down to get it on the net & which are being targeted now anyway as many shut down like they did with music downloads. Still handy to have for the odd match you can't get on satellite & movie downloads as the quality of downloaded material should be as good, even on low bit rate connections- just tales a bit longer.

I'd check the mobile phone locally, they are usually poor in rural areas too.

Last edited:
depending on where you are you may be able to get 'B4RN' broadband, its a long shot as they only cover a small area... google them to see IF you are within range

Get the dish moved to another satellite and use a euro share and enjoy the full packages available. CS used only bits of data but make sure you use a 4g mifi as 3g sometimes does not respond fast enough.

depending on where you are you may be able to get 'B4RN' broadband, its a long shot as they only cover a small area... google them to see IF you are within range
That's a great suggestion, I hadn't heard of that before. I'm in Scotland so sadly this isn't available though.

Sky's recently brought a new encryption system out to stop people accessing their channels that way so many channels are now blocked. It might get hacked but most think it wont for some time if it is.

You should look at having a decent motorised satellite system in the country, we've done loads for country properties with poor internet, it boosts the download capacity by a massive amount for tv - you can access anything up to 300Gig over all satellites without fear of running out of BB & get much better quality than kodi & iptv steams that usually come from satellite in the first place, then they drop the quality right down to get it on the net & which are being targeted now anyway as many shut down like they did with music downloads. Still handy to have for the odd match you can't get on satellite & movie downloads as the quality of downloaded material should be as good, even on low bit rate connections- just tales a bit longer.

I'd check the mobile phone locally, they are usually poor in rural areas too.
Thanks for the reply, (mobile is 4G) how would this work and where do I begin. I'm in Central rural Scotland, I have a satellite dish and a broadband connection of 1-4mb if I sign up for it (I haven't signed up for it because of the crap transfer rates). Another question, if this all falls apart and the best I can expect is Freeview can I get Freeview via my dish and not rely on an Ariel, I don't know if the house has an ariel. What equipment should I buy, my TV has Freeview inbuilt but can I just plug the satellite cable into and get Freeview?

Freeview is via a digital roof antenna.
Freesat is available via a dish.
People tend to get mixed up with these---you don't need the internet for either.
Reaper.

Freeview is via a digital roof antenna.
Freesat is available via a dish.
People tend to get mixed up with these---you don't need the internet for either.
Reaper.
Thanks for that, can I just take the cable thats plumbed to the sky dish and plug it into my freeview enabled tv? If not do I need some other kit?

Depends on your tv mine has dual freesat tuners built in but not all do if it doesn’t you’ll need a satellite receiver

Back